3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

RPM Surge answers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:47 PM
A-10 KChawg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM Surge answers?

2002 RAM 1500 QC 5.9...... I just bought the truck not too long ago. I tested the cruise to make sure it worked, etc. Well I finnally used it for a longer distance today. THe RPMs seem to surge with Cruise engaged but only a couple hundred RPMs. THere is no sliiping in the tranny as I can feel the accelleration. I searched previous threads with tons of suggestions but never really gathered any outcomes of what the problem actually turned out to be. Anybody have any answers?

Old 10-01-2009, 10:03 PM
PyRoHAvoC
Professional

Originally Posted by A-10 KChawg
2002 RAM 1500 QC 5.9...... I just bought the truck not too long ago. I tested the cruise to make sure it worked, etc. Well I finnally used it for a longer distance today. THe RPMs seem to surge with Cruise engaged but only a couple hundred RPMs. THere is no sliiping in the tranny as I can feel the accelleration. I searched previous threads with tons of suggestions but never really gathered any outcomes of what the problem actually turned out to be. Anybody have any answers?
sounds like your TPS

1.) recalibrate

if that doesn't work

2.) take it off drill a tiny hole and hit with some radio shack contact cleaner ... let dry and seal with silicone

if that doesn't work

3.) replace it (like $30 or so at vato zone)

if that doesn't work

probably wasn't the TPS ... hahahaha

for me this was happening at idle ... did the recalibration and it took care of the problem

Old 10-01-2009, 10:13 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dont drill a hole in your tps.
check the voltage on it. use a multimeter on the middle wire to the tps, key on engine off. should be close to .7v if not then it might not be bad but might need adjusted.

if it needs adjusted i will do a lil write up for ya. common on the magnum engines

Old 10-01-2009, 10:16 PM
kah1010

what speed you were driving when you had surge?

my 4.7L -08 sometimes has sometimes (surge) problems when trying to maintain ~30mph (about 1,000RPMs).

In my city, the fine representatives of Department of Public Safety like to "welcome" you on 30mph zone with a ticket, thus safest bet has been to use cruise control....

K

Old 06-02-2010, 07:24 PM
rbrumm
Veteran

Sorry to bring back an old thread but my '02 5.9 just started to do something similar only it seems to for a brief moment jump out of OD and then back in. I hope it isn't thew PCM again!!! I am going to try a reset...fingers crossed!

Old 06-02-2010, 08:27 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

might need to adjust your tv cable from the TB to the tranny search 2nd gen ram

Old 06-02-2010, 09:27 PM
nh5
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nim81
might need to adjust your tv cable from the TB to the tranny search 2nd gen ram
+1 mine does the same all the time. I don't even bother with the tv cable anymore cause its always off by a hair. Also I didn't think the recalibrate worked on our trucks cause we aren't drive by wire.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:10 PM
rbrumm
Veteran

Still an old thread, I know but why start a new one...anyway, what I have noticed in a year is that on a really rough road with my heel on the floor and rest of the foot on the pedal, the truck will come out of "torque lock" and right back in. Kinda like a quick downshift. Is that the TV cable or something else? Like noted above, my truck will do this with the cruise on. Sometimes on a flat grade, but more often just cresting a hill when the accelerator is adjusting to the slower speed then back to cruising speed. Takes like a half a second then back to "lock".

Quick Reply: RPM Surge answers?