3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

General new owner questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 05:52 PM
w.johnson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General new owner questions

I have bought a 2003 Ram 2500 QC 4x4 Hemi with 14,000 miles on it recently and love it. I am impressed with the smooth ride of a 3/4 ton truck and love the power of the Hemi.But i have a few questions, One is about the light under my hood or lack there of. I went to check under my hood the other night and noticed that I don't have a light under there. When I asked my dealership about this they said that according to my vin# my truck did not come from the factory with the light and that it would cost me $150 to get one. Is there anybody else that can verify that this is true. I have never owned a vehicle before without a light under the hood. My 1989 Bronco has a light under the hood. My other question has to do with the power of the engine. It has a lot but I feel like it is not quite the 345hp that it is supposed to have. Is this just the fact that this truck is so heavy or do I as someone told me, have to wait for the engine to really "break in" which one owner told me was usually around 20,000 miles. Any info would be helpfull.

Old 04-02-2005, 06:05 PM
1BADSUV
Rookie
Default RE: General new owner questions

Its because the truck is heavy, most seem to dyno around 270 rwhp.
ORIGINAL: w.johnson

I have bought a 2003 Ram 2500 QC 4x4 Hemi with 14,000 miles on it recently and love it. I am impressed with the smooth ride of a 3/4 ton truck and love the power of the Hemi.But i have a few questions, One is about the light under my hood or lack there of. I went to check under my hood the other night and noticed that I don't have a light under there. When I asked my dealership about this they said that according to my vin# my truck did not come from the factory with the light and that it would cost me $150 to get one. Is there anybody else that can verify that this is true. I have never owned a vehicle before without a light under the hood. My 1989 Bronco has a light under the hood. My other question has to do with the power of the engine. It has a lot but I feel like it is not quite the 345hp that it is supposed to have. Is this just the fact that this truck is so heavy or do I as someone told me, have to wait for the engine to really "break in" which one owner told me was usually around 20,000 miles. Any info would be helpfull.

Old 04-03-2005, 12:10 AM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

A friend of mine is a driveability mechanic at the Dodge house and he told me that we dont actually get the whole 345hp unless you are towing a load or unless the transmission can sense enough of a load to allow you get have it all. Its all built into the tranny and tranny controller... it sucks to be limited by Dodge from letting us floor it all the time with the full 345, but I am sure that it keeps warranty repairs down on both the driveline and the engine.

Old 04-06-2005, 04:24 AM
2004 Hemi Quad
Professional

Congrats on the new truck...the underhood light is a optional feature. As far as the horsepower goes.....the engine will put it out, but some of the hp gets lost in the drivetrain....I'm guessing it probably drops down to 275 hp.

Old 04-06-2005, 11:57 AM
WingViper
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking of losing horsepower to the drivetrain, does anyone here know where I can get stiffer engine mounts to help put power down? I got the 5.7 HEMI.

And I feel spoiled now, cause this truck is the first vehicle I've ever driven with an underhood light, haha.

The loss of your hp is probably also increased by the 4x4 tranny. More energy lost to the transmission fluid and added mass it has to spin.

Quick Reply: General new owner questions