3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Black Magic Fan Install Time

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 07:58 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have mine set about 1/4 of the way up, it comes on about 10 degrees before my 180* thermostat opens.

My reservoirs are in the stock position, on the shroud. You did mount the fan to the shroud, didn't you? Although some have removed it, it really does do a LOT to direct all the airflow through the radiator and not around it...

Old 10-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pirata
Ok installed. I do have a question, where abouts does the temp guage hit 180?
Here is where the temp guage is at 186.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning

I could not get the shroud out the way it was so I made a small modification with a saber saw along the top. I know can put it back together.

As far as the location of the gauge, mine did not come on when it was above the halfway mark in terms of temp. Is there a way to make sure I wired it correctly? I really would hate to think I had it wired incorrectly.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:08 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Where did you mount the temp sensor?

Old 10-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Pirata
Champion

I rechecked the wiring tonight. Everything looks good. I followed the electrical schematic included with the fan. Now I followed the wiring diagram visually though they way they have them marked I am not totally sure it is the way it is marked on the control module.

I will check again tomorrow morning after I get my state inspection knocked out. I also tried to put the shroud back on and I was not geting clearance at the top of the shroud to fit with the fan in place. I could hook one corner at the bottom or the other but not both nor could I get the top bolts that hold the shroud in place back on. I have a pretty good jerry rig oing and I will probably leave it like this for the time being.

Sean

Old 10-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Pirata
Champion

Originally Posted by lxman1
Where did you mount the temp sensor?
In the radiator right where the coolant comes in from the engine.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:57 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I was about to ask why you even touched the shroud, but then I actually read the title of the thread and it says "Black Magic Fan", I've got the 180 Extreme, fit in the stock shroud like it was made for it...

Old 10-12-2009, 07:52 AM
Pirata
Champion

If I would have seen that fan I would have bought that one but I had the Black Magic in my favorites for about a year now.

I remember someone on the forum who installed an aftermarket fan that changed the stock resorviors with aftermarket ones. I think they were orange or red.

I can most definately say that the amount of space in the engine compartment looks great with all the additional room. That muddy hemi really looks sexy.

Sean

Old 10-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Pirata
Champion

I got it. The instructions, specifically the wiring schematic, mention one red wire that goes straight from the battery to the control box and a second red wire (OPTIONAL) that goes through the key tothe control box. The optional part is the wire going through the key, not the wire. The instrucctions were a little confusing there and the issue was I had one red wire not two going into the control box. Also the written instructions include letters on the control box and the wiringdiagram does not, just visually.

I called the company and we talked which is how we isolated the issue. They also stated the AC wire was not optional either. This leads me to the current issue, which wire on the AC compressor do I splice into?

Old 10-12-2009, 08:50 PM
davb673
Veteran

Pirata, I had to paint a red line on my fan temp adjuster because the **** was solid black. This will help give you a reference. Sorry I didn't see this sooner, as I would have added my how-to.
So congrats on the Efan install! I like mine, I can't hear the fan roar in the mornings when I crank it up, and I can tell the difference when I drop the hammer. My temp sensor must be set around 210 based upon what teacher posted with his display. I can hear it kick on about one needle-width to the right of half way.

Quick Reply: Black Magic Fan Install Time