3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lights behind the grill bracket design

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 06:10 PM
giro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Lights behind the grill bracket design

I’ve been lurking for a while and just recently registered. I’ve been having trouble with the search feature over the last few days and that is what has brought me out of lurk-mode. I found the forum while researching cat-back systems and it is already costing me $ and giving me a lot of good ideas. One such idea is the lights behind the grill and I must have them!

I looked at many posts and see that most people drill into the cross member in front of the radiator but I avoid drilling any time I can (got a touch of OCD). I remember one thread where someone said they had made brackets (and I think they even had extras) but then I couldn’t find it again and now the search feature is giving me nothing. Can anyone point me to that thread or person?

I looked at the situation and that area of my 2007 1500 QC and decided to design my own bracket but I’d like to see any other examples of brackets that may have been made. I saw one a few times on the forum where someone welded a plate from the cross member but I’m looking for a bolt-on solution. It’s basically one bolt through the two pieces and cross member to clamp it onto the cross member and bolt the light onto the top of the front piece. I will probably put some thin rubber (old inner tube maybe) on the inside where it meets the cross member. I’ve attached a picture of the design. In addition to not having to drill, this will allow me to adjust the location. Any ideas for improving upon this design are welcome? Anyone want to fab this and send one to me?

Last edited by giro; 10-16-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:14 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

If you don't plan on drilling, then how do you plan on attaching the brackets? You either drill a hole for the brackets or drill a hole for the lights to bolt directly onto the frame support. Your still drilling 2 holes either way. Click on my sig for the install.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:24 PM
giro

My cross member is open in the middle. If you look at my drawing, one bolt goes through the front and back piece but that bolt goes through the middle of the vertical face of the cross member which is open. That bolt will pull the pieces together on each side of the cross member. The horizontal plate on the front piece of the bracket will accept the light. Make sense?

Old 10-14-2009, 06:26 PM
giro

I clicked on your sig hella install link but it did not work for me. It's like the same problem I'm having with the search feature but I'm pretty sure I've looked at that before.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:28 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like your making life too difficult. i drilled 1/4" holes on the frame support. Bolted the lights to it and called it a day. Now if i ever decided to take them off, nobody will ever notice those two holes. There are plenty of holes through out your entire truck that aren't even used yet they are still drilled out. Those two tiny holes will not effect anything. I'm a bad case of OCD and I would never go through what you are doing so not to drill holes.
I understand if the holes were on the bumper and noticeable, but they aren't.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:38 PM
giro

My original plan was to begrudgingly drill but when I looked at it, it seemed pretty easy to do the brackets. You're right though. I'll never get around to getting them made.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:05 PM
Hoss356
Captain

I agree with DirtyDog about the brackets and that he's OCD.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:29 PM
JRam_4.7
Rookie
Old 10-14-2009, 10:43 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

I have a touch of OCD as well. I drilled the holes and then spray painted them so they would not rust. All good!! And easy, too.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:48 PM
OklaHemi
Champion

Originally Posted by 08RamMan
I have a touch of OCD as well. I drilled the holes and then spray painted them so they would not rust. All good!! And easy, too.

same hur. painted them and never looked back

Quick Reply: Lights behind the grill bracket design