3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'02 1500 "RAZ" head unit iPod control

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Snaximus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 1500 "RAZ" head unit iPod control

Anyone around here have a "RAZ" head unit in their vehicle?
I am under the impression that this particular head unit has cd controller capabilities. All the tell tale signs are there. "Disc ^" on preset #1, Disc v" on preset #5, It's got a "MODE" button also. It even has an open socket in the back, for what appears to be where the disc changer would plug into.

I am curious to know if any of you boys, (or girls), have an iPod interface that is working with your "RAZ" type head unit.

2002 Ram 1500 /4.7 magnum / SLT Sport / infinity sound system AM/FM cassette single CD (no steering wheel controls)

Old 10-19-2009, 07:00 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe there is a factory kit for an ipod adapter that just plugs in the back.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Snaximus

There is...
BUT they are like 189 bucks (and Being the cheap S-O-B that I am)
There are a lot of aftermarket interfaces out there that range in cost. I actually tried an Axxess/Metra model, but it didn't work. Since it was such a simple install, and I have some auto electronics experience, I figured it was defective. I'm really wondering if this head unit really has the CD changer capability.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:38 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Try the Terk, you can pretty much hook anything to it to adapt it to your head unit. It was designed for sat radio, but you can adapt mp3 players to it.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Snaximus

Got one off ebay. Will give an update to how we do with it, after install.

It's called a car2go somethin er other.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Snaximus

Adapter I got off eBay is made by "peripheral". Is called iPod2Car. 45 bucks. It came with 3 different data cables, one of which is most likely to fit your vehicle, the interface box, and the cable to plug your iPod into. Install was a cinch. It was recognized instantly, and the sound is CD quality.

Here's to yer health,
Snax

Old 10-29-2009, 10:33 PM
CubanBlood

Do you think it would work with iPhone 3GS? I wanted to get one but I want to make sure it would work. I have the same radio you have.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:13 PM
Snaximus

Hmmm. I don't seem to get the emails saying that someone responded to a thread.... Well, just came here to take a look and saw your reply. I happen to have an iPhone 3Gs, and tested it in the adapter.....
IT WORKS !!! However, the charging function does not. After you plug the iPhone into the chord, it tells you that the charging functionality isn't supported. Then, after dismissing that note, it asks if you would like to activate the airplane feature. I tapped "no", then tapped the iPod icon on the screen, and on came the tunes. I'm ot so sure the sound quality was the same, but it seemed ok for the small snippit of Rush's "Lakeside Park" that I heard.
Sorry I didn't get back earlier. I hope this has helped you out.

Snax

Old 11-24-2009, 11:53 PM
Spike7ss
Veteran

I actually just put this radio in my 05 3500 and it works with my Monster Icruze that runs my ipod. You can get the Icruze off ebay for under 100 bux

Quick Reply: '02 1500 "RAZ" head unit iPod control