3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tranny acting up ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 11:43 PM
rentprop1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny acting up ???

If I may ask a few questions, I don't know a whole lot about trucks and mechanics, I have an 05 Dodge 1500 quad cab ( specs below )...it has right at 60 K on the clock, it was only used a lot back in late 05- early 06 for long distance trips, then it was only used on weekends as I had use of a company car ( this was also when gas was $ 4 a gal so I used company gas as much as I could )

I also use this truck to pull my 22 foot pontoon boat about 45 miles round trip to the water about every 3 weeks.....within the last 3 months I have noticed a bunch of tranny issues from clunking and clinking from R-N-D and while backing up from R-to-D....and some what seems to be un-necessary shifting out of OD, both while about 55-60 mph and while pulling the boat at that speed with the OD off.....not all the time, just intermittently.

now for the real info, the truck never has any Trans service, oil changes and tire rotation as scheduled ( done by my son ) and no other issues with the way it runs except it idles a little rough at a red light with the A/C on here in the summertime..

I guess my main question is :
I have the 7-70 K warranty, but am I screwed cause I missed the 30 K trans service, have you heard of issues like this before, and will it lead to more problems soon, I own the truck ( no payments ) and can't afford large service bills as I've been out of work since March.

should I take it to the dealer for trans service now or not because I missed before, should I take it there for the trans issues to have it looked at ?? my son ( who is knowledgeable with autos ) said he is able to replace the trans fluid and not to take it to a flush place, as he wants to drop the pan, change the filters and flush the trans cooler and do it right ??

any help or suggestions would be much appreciated

specs:
1500 SLT QUAD CAB 4X2
4.7 L with 60,000 oil changes about every 3,000
3.55 axle ratio
anti-spin differential

Old 10-24-2009, 12:48 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Let him change the filters and fluid. If it still acts up, take it to the dealer for warranty work.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:45 PM
rentprop1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone think I would have better luck if the dealer changed the trans fluid and they found stuff in the pan might recommend warranty service ??

worst case I can always take it back in after a few weeks and tell them that the issues are now worse, or new fluid might be the trick ??

I think the dealer would try and weasel out no matter the case < I now live 4 hours away from the dealer where we bought the truck, I'm 1 hour from the other dealer where we bought the caliber, our local small town dealer didn't do crap the last time we took the truck to them ( poor CS to boot ) .....so I showed my appreciation by going 1 hour away and buying another dodge ( wife's caliber )

Old 10-25-2009, 01:45 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

In that case, I would just take it to the dealer that you like and let them do it. Have them test drive it after the change to make sure it is working properly. If not, then they can repair it under warranty while there.

Quick Reply: tranny acting up ???