3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

headers on

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 12:16 PM
motorhead426
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by truckin151
I'll get some real pics up later. We started at 5 and ended at 11. No cats ran out of time and energy to do it. No rear O2's either. It needs the cats. It is so freaking loud. Couldn't really do much for a test drive last night as is was late and i didn't want to draw that much attention. There is some noticeable extra pep though.
LMAO... and no one took my word on this...

Can't wait to see the pics and test drive report.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by truckin151
I'll get some real pics up later. We started at 5 and ended at 11. No cats ran out of time and energy to do it. No rear O2's either. It needs the cats. It is so freaking loud. Couldn't really do much for a test drive last night as is was late and i didn't want to draw that much attention. There is some noticeable extra pep though.
Were you able to come up with a way of getting the stock cats to fit?

Old 10-24-2009, 09:53 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Alright guys, sorry for the delay but I had a gtg with the guys over on htc this afternoon, alot of great guys with some really nice trucks (got voted dirtiest truck though .... but it was either clean the truck or put in headers, headers won)

Anyways last night we encountered a few different problems throughout the install. We were able to get everything off with no problems but putting the new ones on were not so simple. The bolts were alright, some were difficult to install and tq down but all in all they are on (more than likely will tq them down again next weekend and put on the lockers). The main issues we had were with the passenger side header. The O2 bung was to tall, everytime we put it up in place it would put the top of the O2 touching the floor board. So we trimmed it down and pounded up on the heat shield still so it would fit. Everything after that went really smoothly and the Y went up with no issues.

Now last night when I took it out, it was late, and after working on it all night I was beat, so taking it out when it was completely dead quiet outside it seemed REALLY OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD.... But today after driving it around for a while as long as I am not on it hard it really sounds good with a nice deep rumble. WOT it SCREAMS!!! I cant really describe the tone it gives off but it seems winded I guess you can say up top.

The cats and rear O2 are off the truck right now but next weekend I will be able to get over to a guys house and put it on a lift to get the cats opened up and put back on with the rear O2's. The sound is less loud than what I had thought last night, but still loud enough that I dont want to go WOT. And without the wide band I dont want to hurt anything if it is running to lean. Also the smell is getting annoying. I dont think there is any leaks under the hood as its not a strong smell under the hood or in the cab but outside its bad. I'm thinking that part of it must be because headers heating up and the new piping as well so I hope it will go away soon or after we get the cat in.

Pics and videos are loading now so hopefully soon they will be up. All and all though I am liking it. Nothing like spinning the tires from a 35mph roll lol!!! It should be a whole new truck once I get the TB fixed and back on the truck.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:02 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I definately WANT sound/vid clips of normal start up, normal driving and WOT.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:58 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

nice cant wait to see pics and hear that beast....

Old 10-25-2009, 10:35 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

That smell is all of the unburnt hydrocarbons- a job normally accomplished by the cat, and hence the reason for them.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

So are you going to drive it without the cats for the week?

Old 10-25-2009, 05:10 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Yeah I kind of figured that the smell was because of the lack of cats. I will be running like this til next weekend then the cats are going on. Its not that I dont like it like this but it needs to be mellowed down a little. Get rid of the smell and clean up the sound a bit.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:12 PM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I swear to god, Truckin, if you don't get sound clips up soon you're gonna find it difficult to log into DF!

Old 10-25-2009, 05:28 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

good one pyro ill have to agree with that decision .....

Quick Reply: headers on