3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

headers on

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good Truckin. I can't view the video's till I get home (youtube is blocked where I'm at)

Old 10-26-2009, 11:57 AM
DodgeThunder
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds awesome man!! Did you buy the Y and headers then use the borla kit back or did you make the rest of the exhaust? I like how it dumps under the box there, I like the clean look I need to get rid of mine, It looks dumb with the body lift now and the tip coming out so low.. Very nice setup, Im deffinitely thinkin this will be my winter project!

Old 10-26-2009, 12:27 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

I had the borla muffler put in a few months ago, its basically a straight pipe to the muffler then the dump is the same pipe with a few bends in it to get the angle right up and over the axle. When I put on the headers, I bought the Y pipe kit to go along with them and tied it all into the existing piping for the muffler. I love the look of it like this. My old exhaust was a SI/DO out the sides behind the tires and dumping it with the ne exhaust really cleaned it up alot.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:40 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you truck really sounds good!

Old 10-26-2009, 10:47 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

thanks jonny. i like it but it still needs the cats put back on and the whole system welded up. its just to damn loud right now and doesnt quite have the right tone to it. On another note its good to see you back around the 3rd gen area again. I saw your post about the accident over in the OT area. Glad you are alright for the most part man.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:00 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Default Update

So its been about a week now with the headers on and no cats so I figured I'd give you guys a quick update on a few things.

As of right now I am not seeing any gains down low after adding them on. Now I have not adjusted the fuel for running lean which I am about 90% possitive that it is now so that probably has something to do with it. It revs up really nicely now though, and you can tell there is potential there cause it moves pretty damn fast from about 40mph on up but it doesn't really have the throw you back in the seat pull to it. Hopefully after adding the cats back in and adjusting the WOT fuel will get it to perform a little better. As of right now though, the ported TB I had on the truck for the few days before I took it off gave it more go than the headers right now did. Now when I get the TB back in I think this setup is just going to be fun!!!

As far as MPG goes, this past half tank with the headers on my mpg has dropped significantly. Was at 16.1 pre-headers and am now at 13.2. Now that may also have to do with me reving a little more than usual, the truck not being tuned for the headers and the temperature dropping. So there are other factors that are going into it as well. Once I get it tuned right and the cats back on then I will give it another test.

For Sound, well I dont like it now, to raspy and overly loud inside for me BUT thats with no cats and from the people I have asked, adding them back in shoud sharpen up the sound to get rid of the raspy sound it has and drop the sound to a more tollerable decible level inside. I did open the cutout plate the other day to listen to it rumble and for you guys that are going to run this setup with the LT's and open cutouts, it is insanely loud!! The cab felt like it was going to shake apart inside, it was all blow and no go (low end was practically nonexistant... unless you like an 8 second 0-60), I could hear the exhaust over the radio cranked all the way up, BUT I did set off EVERY car alarm in my neighborhood driving down the road though...

So if you are planning on doing your setup like this, I wouldn't really reccomend it. Try it first if you must, maybe you guys will like it better but personally running it like this does not feel good or sound that great.

After I get the cats on and tune it up this weekend I will post another quick review on everything.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:26 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I know I want mine louder than what it is but not insanely redneckish loud. I really appreciate your review and feedback wish you were closer so i could hear it and decide if thats how I want mine.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:47 PM
OklaHemi
Champion

cool **** truckin. i agree w/ the no cats thing. i wish i didn't flip mine for mod money. oh well they were already off. i had to add a resonator. way to raspy straight piped. i tried 2 different mufflers. flomaster 40 and at3030

Old 10-29-2009, 02:51 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Well all I can say is try it and see if you like it. Personally right now the way it sounds through the muffler is not good, tollerable if the radio is on fairly loud but over all not good, coming out of the cutout plate is VERY VERY loud. Best way to compare it would be to go stand next to someone starting a bike with straight pipes, that loud deep rumble is what you end up with in the cab and it rattles and shakes EVERYTHING inside, its the cutout volume x10. I could see opening it for a little while to show off but not for very long. But if you do that throw any performance out the window cause it is a dog to get up to speed.

The lack of performance that I have going right now is what is getting me the most, I need to get the system completed soon so I can start playing with it more and get it tuned up. I can take a very well educated guess on what its going to need after looking through the diablo forums and some of the other truck sites from people running the same setup but I would rather wait til after its together right and has the cats back on w/ the wideband installed.

Last edited by truckin151; 10-29-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What cats are you putting on, the reused stock ones or some aftermarket magnaflows?

Quick Reply: headers on