3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rear-end factory low on oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 11:21 PM
mindz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear-end factory low on oil?

Went to juffy lube to get a oil change and they now check your rear-end oil level. Well, he said it was low and added oil. My question is this. I have a 04 2wd hemi ram w/ only 7,500 miles. Why would it need oil this quick. i park in the same spot everynight and no oil spots so its not leaking. any info would be nice.thanks

Old 04-07-2005, 12:26 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Default RE: rear-end factory low on oil?

Either it was low from the factory or the guy didn't know what the hell he was talking about. Not all rear diffs are supposed to be filled up to the bottom of the threads! I think you might need to investigate a little furthur and look at the level now and where it is supposed to be. If they messed up (jiffy Lube) then make them fix it.

Old 04-07-2005, 02:44 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recall reading the level in the 9.25" rear should be within an inch of the fill hole.

Old 04-08-2005, 10:17 PM
mindz

so could u have damage if i keep driving it?freakin tards!!where can i find the info on how much oil is supposed to be in there?thanks

Old 04-09-2005, 12:25 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

If it is really way overfilled it can foam up/reduce lubrication, but I doubt you are will have a problem. Just check it and then have them fix it if it is wrong. All you need is a small pump that can take some of the fluid out of the differential. They probably have one.

Old 04-09-2005, 12:46 AM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

Hard to say, maybe the guy that did the pre-delivery inspection didnt actually check the rear end oil, most make-ready depts dont use any lifts or even have them available. I've done PDI's myself and I cant remember doing too many checks on the rear-end level to tell you the truth, it was just too much trouble and I wasnt getting paid enough to bother with it. Probly amazing more diffs dont fail considering this, huh...

Old 04-09-2005, 11:35 AM
alienyzf
Professional

Take it back and ask what type of oil was put in. If he says gl-5, you tell him synthetic is what is recommended and it is suppossed to be an inch lower than threads. Make them replace all the oil for their contamination and if you have a limited slip diff you will need the additive also.

Make sure you ask the tech first and not the manager. If you mention synthetic first, they will say they put it in, when they did not. I know for I worked at one in college.

Incompetence makes me angry![:@]

Quick Reply: rear-end factory low on oil?