3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

whining noise coming from engine??

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 01:32 AM
muddauber5.7
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well power steering fluid is full and besides when I turn the steering wheel there is no whine it's just with the rpm's of the engine, and can't hear it at idle. Actually sounds like the whine of a blower on a engine only much quieter. I guess I'll just wait for it to get worse, or I'll have a buddy rev the motor while listening under the hood. Maybe I can pinpoint where it's comming from that way before I start changing pulleys. Thanks for all the input!!!

Old 10-30-2009, 08:41 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by muddauber5.7
Well power steering fluid is full and besides when I turn the steering wheel there is no whine it's just with the rpm's of the engine, and can't hear it at idle. Actually sounds like the whine of a blower on a engine only much quieter. I guess I'll just wait for it to get worse, or I'll have a buddy rev the motor while listening under the hood. Maybe I can pinpoint where it's comming from that way before I start changing pulleys. Thanks for all the input!!!
You've got me shaking my head. You post up that you think your t/b needs to be cleaned because of a whine under the hood?? Not the case.
Now, when you get multiple possible solutions regarding the situation, you just ignore all of them and go your own way on this???? Kinda makes this post pointless really!

Why don't you post up a video of your problem and the problem can be identified because YOUR whine may actually be considered a humm to the rest of us or vice versus kinda thing. Just as everyone has their own idea of what MINT is. Some think Mint is slightly better than normal wear and tear and others say Mint is new in the box with no marks at all.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:55 AM
muddauber5.7
Professional

Originally Posted by dirtydog
You've got me shaking my head. You post up that you think your t/b needs to be cleaned because of a whine under the hood?? Not the case.
Now, when you get multiple possible solutions regarding the situation, you just ignore all of them and go your own way on this???? Kinda makes this post pointless really!

Why don't you post up a video of your problem and the problem can be identified because YOUR whine may actually be considered a humm to the rest of us or vice versus kinda thing. Just as everyone has their own idea of what MINT is. Some think Mint is slightly better than normal wear and tear and others say Mint is new in the box with no marks at all.
I was thinking maybe someone else has had this problem that I'm describing before and found a solution. But
hearing many diff. solutions is just giving me ideas on where to look' which I appreciate don't get me wrong!!! And don't shake your head you'll just make yourself dizzy!!

Old 10-30-2009, 01:59 PM
mike1346

Are you married........are your sure it's not coming from the passenger side of the seat? Just kidding. Check around your Airbox and make sure everything is good and tight going all the way up to your TB, may be sucking air in from a crack or something loose.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:16 PM
05Hemi4auburn

I'll second the fan possibility. From what you're describing, it sounds exactly what I have as well. My friend who is a full time mechanic, told me that some of the rams have thermal clutches on their fans. I've never heard of it before, but I'm guessing it works kind of like a thermostat. Anyway, he said that the clutches whine a little when they're cold and then when they heat up, the fan is engaged.

Has anyone else heard of this concept? Because it sounds believable and I too have 67,000 miles on my 05 hemi. It's been doing it for about 8,000 miles and I've checked all the other options that have been mentioned on this thread and all of them check out ok...

FYI, He's one of my best friends so he's not the typical idiot mechanic trying to blow smoke up your @ss to get more money to fix something.
Let us know if you find the cause.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:45 PM
cordaco
Rookie

Idler Pulley bearings or bearings of some sort... As they warm up they expand causing less friction and therefore less noise. If the damaged bearing is inside your engine, the whine goes away after oil reaches it. Safe to assume its an idler pulley bearing...

Old 10-30-2009, 07:13 PM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Remove your serptine belt. Run / Drive and listen for noise. You can run without belt for about 45 seconds before eng starts to get hot. Keep close eye on temp gauge.MAKE SURE TO SHUT DOWN WHEN HEAT GAUGE STARTS TO RISE. If noise is still present. Something in Engine or Transmission is the cause. If noise is eliminated you have an acccessory or bearing shot.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:55 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

I have to go with the group saying that its a pulley. I had the exact same thing and I ended up changing the tentioner and the idler before I fixed it. If you have a Harbor Freight near you, you can go there and get a mechanics stethascope. It only cost about $5 and it is the best thing going for finding where noises are coming from. In the old days we used to stick a long screw driver to something and put our ear to the other end but this is so much safer cuz you can see what your touching with it. I have one and wouldn't trade it for nothing. Good luck.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:49 AM
labarr2500

had the same thing with the winding. ended up taking every pulley off. replaceing 2 and it was still there. The belt was still good but i replaced it because i ran out of ideas. no winding anymore. try belt dressing and/or a new belt if it quiets

Old 10-31-2009, 01:08 AM
muddauber5.7
Professional

Originally Posted by 05Hemi4auburn
I'll second the fan possibility. From what you're describing, it sounds exactly what I have as well. My friend who is a full time mechanic, told me that some of the rams have thermal clutches on their fans. I've never heard of it before, but I'm guessing it works kind of like a thermostat. Anyway, he said that the clutches whine a little when they're cold and then when they heat up, the fan is engaged.

Has anyone else heard of this concept? Because it sounds believable and I too have 67,000 miles on my 05 hemi. It's been doing it for about 8,000 miles and I've checked all the other options that have been mentioned on this thread and all of them check out ok...

FYI, He's one of my best friends so he's not the typical idiot mechanic trying to blow smoke up your @ss to get more money to fix something.
Let us know if you find the cause.
Has your noise gotten any louder since it first started? Mine has stayed the same. I guess I'll start with belt dressing and go from there. Thanks

Quick Reply: whining noise coming from engine??