3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Buy a locker for my 2wd or sell the truck and buy a 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 07:56 PM
connorgleason
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a couple quotes today. The Truetrac LSD was $507 for the part and $400 labor. The ARB selectable air locker was $975 for the part, $300 for the compressor, and $700 labor!! I think I'm changing my mind to the Truetrac as you guys have suggested. I liked the idea of the onboard compressor, but I could always buy that separate and install it myself. As for the $400 they were going to charge me....that seems high. How much do shops typically charge for an LSD install??

Old 11-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Lifted4x4Astro
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with the TrueTrac. It is a very good posi. It is available at all times on dry roads, wet roads gravel, grass and sand. The TT is basically the same as the factory posi on the 10.5" and 11.5" rears in the 2500's and 3500's. $400 is a little steep for such an easy carrier to install. I would check around for prices but that may be the going rate in your area. I would suspect a shop will do it in 3-4 hours.

Just a side note. The ARB compressor is not rated for continuous operation and is a very low flow compressor. The lockers only need about 90 psi and just a little air. You would be wiser to put a better compressor (like a york) on your Cummins and then you can run air tools and air up tires easily.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:21 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Find another shop!!! The shop around here I send guys to do full GEAR INSTALLS for $300 an axle, and will throw a LSD in for no additional labor if you buy it from them, stating it only takes about 10 mins to install the LSD when doing ring and pinions...

Of course, if you are dead set on a compressor, just get one of these:

then screw the LSD, tires, locker ideas, etc. Just pull yourself out when you get stuck...LOL

Quick Reply: Buy a locker for my 2wd or sell the truck and buy a 4x4?