3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Buy a locker for my 2wd or sell the truck and buy a 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 06:01 AM
connorgleason
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy a locker for my 2wd or sell the truck and buy a 4x4?

I have a bit of a dilemma. I'm driving an 04 Cummins 2wd (open....not LSD). It is my daily driver and I tow a toyhauler maybe 5 times a year. I'm afraid to take the thing anywhere because it gets stuck so easily. I thought about just selling the 2wd and buying a 4x4, but I already have so much invested in it; Banks 6-gun, Greasecar veggie oil fuel system (which is awesome by the way!), stereo, etc. I was looking at the ARB locker and I think it would help, but man...$$$. So I guess my question is should I fork out the $1,000+ to get the locker installed, or should I just continue with the tow strap + cell phone routine? How much of a difference will a locker actually make? Are there any other selectable lockers you would recommend? Oh, I guess I should add that I am not looking to go "four wheelin" at all...I just want to be able to make it to the camp site. Probably the worst it would see would be relatively flat "beach-like" sand. Any input is appreciated.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:52 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Although there is no substitute for 4WD IMO, you'd probably be fine with a selectable locker. The ARB is a great unit. Just don't get a true locker or spool, you'll hate it towing when turning, it'll ratchet like hell.
Although if money is an issue, a good LSD like the Auburn or TruTrac would also make a big difference.

Take a look at the tires too, even a 4x4 with lockers will get stuck with lousy meats...

Old 11-02-2009, 09:41 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Def don't sell for a 4wd. Many 4wd's even have open lsd's and then you'll find yourself in the same scenerio.

Just becareful when you do get one installed as getting on a highway and punching it off a hard corner can send you sideways because of all the oil...etc on the turns and both wheels will wanna spin rathe than one spins and one keeps traction.

I know I would love to get a Detroit trutrac installed as it is very smooth, quiet and allows one wheel to spin freely around a sharp corner. lockers are noisey and basically lock your wheels up with each other making going into turns difficult as the inside wheel will spin/chirp clunk and wear out your tires faster. That can be a PIA when towing and backing up manuevering with a trailer. Just not as smooth as an Auburn DTT or other nicer LSD.
There are also selectable lockers that you can flip a switch to activate it, but they are very pricey.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:10 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

i'm with those guys. and like hammer said, if you're on a budget the Detroit Tru Trac should do you wonders.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:24 PM
connorgleason
Rookie

Thanks for the input. Money is always an issue, but I plan on driving this thing for a long long time, so I'd rather pay a few hundred more for a quality product that functions well. I'm definitely going to pick a selectable locker, because I want the thing open 99% of the time. Have any of you guys ever seen a 2wd 2500 with a locker? Its bad enough getting stuck on the flat sand, but spending over $1000 and still getting stuck would just be embarrassing...lol. Oh...and my tires are Toyo Open Country M/T. I think that airing them waaay down, locking up the rear, then using the ARB compressor to inflate is probably the best I'm going to get given my circumstances.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:47 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Sounds like a plan. Although I've never personally seen a 2wd with a locker, it's been done. Having a compressor on board is never a bad thing, either.

The M/Ts are a good deal in mud but may be contributing to your undoing in soft, beach like sand. Even aired down, an aggressive mud terrain tends to dig down into the soft sand and get you stuck faster. You may find the locker will compound the issue.
If this is the type of terrain you find yourself getting stuck in, then a towing type tread, like the Nitto Dura Grappler is more of what you want. Probably the best towing tire made and the tread type will ride on top of the sand instead of digging in.

If it were me, I'd get an Auburn or TruTrac and spend the difference on the tires. Again, this would be if it's soft sand where you are finding yourself getting stuck. If it's mainly muddy situations, then I'd prolly do what you propose...

Old 11-02-2009, 04:47 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

don't confuse function for quality. the detroit tru trac is a very high quality limited slip, but a locker it is not. the ARB is more expensive because of the 'selectability' whereas the tru trac makes the choice for you. it allows a little bit of slip where the ARB will lock the wheels solid.

edit: looks like hammer and i are on the same page

Old 11-02-2009, 07:14 PM
connorgleason
Rookie

Good advice. thanks. What kind of mileage (life, not mpg) do you get out of the Dura Grapplers on the road? Are they pretty quiet? As for the tru trac, aren't they still pretty pricey? I've also heard that the LSDs don't always work when you want them to, ie. engaging at weird times on the road or not engaging when you need them to. Do you have one installed on your truck?

Old 11-02-2009, 08:34 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I've got the Auburn LSD, the second one I had as I also had one in my '98 RCSB 1500 4x4.
The dig on the Auburn (at least since the TruTrac came out) is that the clutch packs wear out, but if they do, I don't know how long it takes, cause after 68k on my '98 it still performed like new.
Mine have always been exactly like they should, hook up everytime I need it, and can't tell they were there when I didn't. I think the digs you hear about is mainly the stock Chrysler one. Even when they don't blow up and take the diff out with it, it's still a lousy performing POS.

As far as the Dura Grapplers, I got a buddy with a '96 CTD who pulls a 5th Wheel almost every day. He has his own business delivering those big commercial air units you see on the roofs of big buildings that his brother in law's business manufactures. He swears by 'em and gets 60k miles out of them.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:53 PM
rcman0056
Professional

You should be fine with 2wd. Get some decent tires not just the OEM Highway with no tread depth. I have Fuzion XTi on all four corners. You either just need more weight in the back or just carry a wooden board or two. One wheel slips just slid a board under it. A locking diff is a waste unless you are going to do 2wd offroading. My 2wd has never given me any problems.

Quick Reply: Buy a locker for my 2wd or sell the truck and buy a 4x4?