3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

possible Tranny problems??

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 06:50 PM
TheAlbinoRam
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible Tranny problems??

hello I have two issues and I'm starting to become concerned.

Issue #1

This problem I've had since i bought my ram and since I never owned a Ram before i just dismissed it as normal operating procedure.
When it's cold out or the truck has sat for a few days it seems like it pulls out in 2nd gear. The truck doesn't start rolling till about 1800rpm and the fan (or what sounds like the fan) revs up pretty loud for about 30sec then when it does it's first shift of the day the fan noise goes away and everything works as normal. I' not sure if this is a problem or not.

Issue #2

This JUST happened and is what is making me concerned. It's 51 degree's outside and the truck has been sitting for about 3 hours since it was last driven. As i pull out it sounds to me like its in 2nd again however the tranny dissengaged and then re-engaged quickly. I thought nothing of it and continued on. i noticed quickly the truck was only using 2nd and 3rd gear. The mds o/d wasn't engaging and when I started from a stop the engine would rev to about 1800-2000 rpm before the truck moved. When i was at speed i tried manually shifting and it would only shift one time down. I pulled the truck over and shut it off, restarted and everything worked great mds, o/d, 1st, 2nd, 3rd everything.

Was issue #2 a hiccup or am i starting to see some real problems here?

BTW the truck was bought used its a 2006 ram 1500 hemi with 31000 on the clock

Last edited by TheAlbinoRam; 11-02-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:12 PM
hemiguy0302
Record Breaker

Was it up to temp on the gauge? My truck will not shift normally until the engine is up to heat.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:19 PM
TheAlbinoRam

In the 2nd issue yes i was on the highway driving testing the problem. the truck was at operating temp. once i restarted the truck it was fine but, its concerning

Old 11-03-2009, 06:38 AM
TheAlbinoRam

?????

Quick Reply: possible Tranny problems??