3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

System Questions..

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 01:00 AM
Jonhyboi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default System Questions..

Ok I have 2 alpine type r's in a old ported fox box.
1st Question.. I was wondering, I've been looking around an came across compactors, I never had used one or have a friend use one. An I was wondering what exactly do they really do and if they really work?

2nd Question. Does anyone know the difference between fatmat and dynamat? Is one thicker than the other? Does anyone have experience from either one and if they worked?

Old 11-04-2009, 07:07 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Caps are supposed to ease the strain on en electrical system. They can charge and discharge at the blink of an eye. However, I feel as if they are a bandaid. If you need one to help with the electrical load in your ride, then you should be looking at upgrading batteries, doing the Big 3 upgrade, bigger alt, ECT.

As for the sound deadening material, IDK. PM DirtyDog and see what he says hecause he used some.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Jonhyboi
Veteran

Well I have a 2400 watt amp.. my lights do surge at times at night, I don't really know if that really counts as a major "strain" on the electrical system, an I can watch my battery bar level thing go down and up? So I don't know if it will cure that problem or not.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:23 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Check THESE out for a capacitor. Way more power, smaller size and I've been running mine for 4 years now.

As for Damping material. You WANT Butyl. Most products are either asphalt or a mix including Dynamat Xtreme. I purchased 80mil Edead. It's true in size (80mil minimum) unlike others will say 60mil and be only 45mil at best. And Edead is a Butyl rubber.
Fatmat is asphalt mix, Rattletrap is a butyl but it's $$$$$$$.
HERE is Edead 80mil.
Price per sq/ft. Edead is the cheapest and is the better of materials. Their aluminum backing is very thin so it's easy to form. if you buy on price alone, You will get what you pay for.
You'll need one roll for your doors, 1 roll for your roof and back wall, 1 roll for the floor.
Remember, it's a Dampener not a noise suppressent. You will still hear everything outside same as now. The onlything this stuff does is dampen vibrations and prevent those vibrations from becoming airborne noises. Big misconception that this stuff quiets your ride.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Jonhyboi
Veteran

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Check THESE out for a capacitor. Way more power, smaller size and I've been running mine for 4 years now.

As for Damping material. You WANT Butyl. Most products are either asphalt or a mix including Dynamat Xtreme. I purchased 80mil Edead. It's true in size (80mil minimum) unlike others will say 60mil and be only 45mil at best. And Edead is a Butyl rubber.
Fatmat is asphalt mix, Rattletrap is a butyl but it's $$$$$$$.
HERE is Edead 80mil.
Price per sq/ft. Edead is the cheapest and is the better of materials. Their aluminum backing is very thin so it's easy to form. if you buy on price alone, You will get what you pay for.
You'll need one roll for your doors, 1 roll for your roof and back wall, 1 roll for the floor.
Remember, it's a Dampener not a noise suppressent. You will still hear everything outside same as now. The onlything this stuff does is dampen vibrations and prevent those vibrations from becoming airborne noises. Big misconception that this stuff quiets your ride.
Never heard of Xstatic? Does it make the system sound better to? I heard some capacitors do that.. Like the Rocksford or Lanzar ones.. but for $169 can't go to wrong there.

So like the rattling you mean? New to the sub world. Lol the only thing that vibrates is just one door, But does it make the inside sound better an the treble louder? Sorry for all the questions just wanting to know if these are true or just myths.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:34 PM
moosefire66
Veteran

80 mils??? Is that number correct? I think .80 would be right, since 80 would be over three inches thick..........

Old 11-05-2009, 09:56 PM
Jonhyboi
Veteran

that would be to much. Lol

Old 11-06-2009, 03:46 AM
Animal Mother
Captain

I wouldnt do Dynamat. I did my jeep back in the day and it was pricey, theres better products stated above that are a better deal.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Jonhyboi
Veteran

alright cool;
But I do have another question.. Never messed with deadners before.. but does it really smell weird in your truck or car after installation?

Old 11-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Animal Mother
Captain

The only thing that I noticed was that my doors felt heavier. Never noticed a different smell..

Quick Reply: System Questions..