3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tire noise questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 07:45 AM
Riccs22
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire noise questions

once again it is time to buy tires i am quite curious and interested in the nitto mud grappler tires except i am not fond of the noise rating. Guys with these tires on the truck can you tell me if you get any humming or singing of the tires??? and i also saw the nitto terra grappler which looks to be my first choice right now if anyone has some feedback i would appreciate it greatly

Old 11-04-2009, 08:17 AM
sharkhunter10
Captain

The mud grapplers humm pretty loud. The ones i hear are 37's but they are pretty loud but I like the sound. As for the terra grapplers they dont really humm at all! you could maybe bearly hear them over stock exhaust were mud grapplers can be heard over straits! I know this because two of my good friends have these same set ups.

Also go check out the Cooper Zeon LTZ they dont hum and have a cool agressive look. A lot of people hve them here including me.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:38 AM
ramhunter9
Banned

i had mudgrapplers on my last rig .. loved the traction in mud , sand , dirt . sucked in snow, ice, rain. would never buy them again because they sound like a airplane takin off and you have to shout over them to have a conversation. not to mention they rattled the cab. neat looking tire but what a headake.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:52 AM
josemer09
Rookie

What about the new trail grappler from nitto they have an aggressive look of a mud grappler and the on road comfort of a terra grappler.....http://www.nittotire.com/#index.tire.trailgrappler
looks like a good tire but i don't know of anyone running them right now these would be my choice if i were you

Old 11-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Hemi-5.7
Professional

I have the mud grapplers 33" they look nasty, there is no denying that. But even at speeds of 15 mph they are very loud, not to mention ripping 80mph on the highway. They stand out so much, thats what really made the decision for me. I live in MA and we get tons of snow, i actually think there pretty good in the snow, especially getting out of the driveway with more than a foot of snow on it. Im going to keep my options open the next time i have to get new tires for my rig, but if your going for the off-road lifted look, there is no tire that beats it.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:39 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Nitto Mud Grappler is one of the more popular tires around my hunting club. Probably the second noisiest tire I've ever heard next to Super Swamper Boggers.

The few people I've heard from with the Trail Grapplers love 'em so far and not near the noise of the Mud Grapplers.
Also take a look at the Toyo Open Country M/Ts, Toyo and Nitto are owned by the same company and there is not a lot of difference between them and the Trail Grapplers...

Old 11-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Deviate
Professional

I have Terra Grapplers and I have only had them for a day so I can't really comment on them too much. The noise doesn't appear to be any louder than the stock tires honestly. Maybe a little more hum but since my old tires were practically tread free (56k miles on them) I don't know that I could give a very accurate comparison.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:59 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by Deviate
I have Terra Grapplers and I have only had them for a day so I can't really comment on them too much. The noise doesn't appear to be any louder than the stock tires honestly. Maybe a little more hum but since my old tires were practically tread free (56k miles on them) I don't know that I could give a very accurate comparison.
Terra Grapplers are very quiet, especially for a fairly aggressive A/T tire. That and the fact that I know some guys who've gotten 60,000+ miles out of them is why I put them on my Grand Cherokee daily driver. Great tire, but just not aggressive enough for some of the places I take my truck. If I took 'em hog huntin', I think I'd be using my winch more and huntin' less...

Old 11-04-2009, 02:51 PM
Riccs22
Rookie

what is the tread depth of the cooper zeon LtZ??

Old 11-04-2009, 04:58 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

If you are considering Mud Grapplers for off-road, you won't be satisfied with the Zeons, a really nice tire, but on the lesser end of the scale for mud and such for even an A/T tire. The Terra Grapplers would be a better choice.

Anything in a true mud tire is gonna have some noise, it's the nature of the beast. If you truly want a M/T tire then look at the Trail Grappler, Open Country M/T, Mickey Thompson MTZ or Cepek Mud Country. They are all fairly close to the ability of the Mud Grapplers but a good bit quieter...

Quick Reply: tire noise questions