3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shaved Door Handles

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 09:46 PM
hemiguy0302
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TIG is not too hot if the body guy is experienced with welding thin gauge metals. Its time consuming to weld a big then let it cool. Weld some more... It can be done pretty easy the hardest part is filling in the holes but keep in mind you will have a bunch more wiring to do and you would most likely need a new or an auxilary remote to open each door. Also because the truck has shaved door handles this opens it up for a theft opportunity because any some what auto oriented person know that on shaved vehicles there are emergency overrides to get it but once again some thing can be worked out I bet. Its not that I dont want you to shave the handle I just dont want you to be dissapointed when you have the system and it isnt what you wanted it to be.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:47 AM
RawRam2006
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not too worried about theft. Where I work my Truck is behind a barbwired camera guarded fence. LOL. Besides I don't think anyone would try stealing anything with a ton of Cops around. LOL. But point well noted. And thank you for all the advice.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:18 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

If you havent already, get on your tube and watch the guys do the welding. All of them I have seen use MIG and tach 4 welds at a time and nothing more. They go 12-6-9-3 oclock to keep the panel cool and then tack weld some more. Some say you can use compressed air to cool it down faster. The filler plates you can make or buy for really cheap.

IMO, as long as you have an emergency cable to pull incase the battery goes dead or the solenoid craps out, I think you will be fine.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:05 AM
soundwavesram

Another great emergency backup to get in, is your household garden variety brick. They work wonders on aiding in the opening of a vehicle you wouldn't otherwise be able to get into! Just duct tape one up under your bed, and you'll be ready to rock and roll.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:15 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Spark plug ceramics are much easier and smaller ........ ;-)

Old 11-06-2009, 02:48 PM
xill
Captain

i thought about doing this mod too, but the idea of getting into an accident and the EMTs not being able to open my door was enough to make me just wanna paint the handles instead of shaving them. now if there was a kit to change the door handles to the flush-fit type of handles that alot of sports cars like the viper has then i'd be all over that one. clean & hidden but still functional and accessible

Old 11-06-2009, 09:17 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Another note, electric operated doors are not legal in all states. With that said fly-by-wire thottles were also not legal, but our dodges have used them for years. Maybe checking with your state inspection station might get an answer. Personally, I like the look of clean doors.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by hemiguy0302
TIG is not too hot if the body guy is experienced with welding thin gauge metals. Its time consuming to weld a big then let it cool. Weld some more... It can be done pretty easy the hardest part is filling in the holes but keep in mind you will have a bunch more wiring to do and you would most likely need a new or an auxilary remote to open each door. Also because the truck has shaved door handles this opens it up for a theft opportunity because any some what auto oriented person know that on shaved vehicles there are emergency overrides to get it but once again some thing can be worked out I bet. Its not that I dont want you to shave the handle I just dont want you to be dissapointed when you have the system and it isnt what you wanted it to be.
I'd use a 110 Mig welder. Welding carbon steel with TIG was a pita when i was doing certification tests.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:30 PM
OklaHemi
Champion

search stacy david he did a lot of how to videos when he hosted trucks. just watch where you park. you dont want the truck leaning to the side when you pop it

Old 11-06-2009, 11:08 PM
RawRam2006
Veteran

Originally Posted by OklaHemi
just watch where you park. you dont want the truck leaning to the side when you pop it
This is true. LOL. I'm gonna try to get the Lowering Kit done this weekend, but no promises. LOL. Definitely gonna get the rollpan on tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Shaved Door Handles