3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Round 2.... Ported TB

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:00 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cheapbeater
now i want one! maybe i should risk the knife edge... did they charge you any extra to send it back and have the knife edge removed?

Originally Posted by Truckin151
Its a Fastman Throttle Body bored out to 85mm with a half shaft. Ran $237 shipped and I must say Dan is a very good guy to work with, he ships fast and turn around is really quick if you ever need to send something back.

Hey truckin, you say he opened it up to 85mm. is that at the butterfly plate as well? Did he install a larger Plate too so there isn't a gap around the edges from a "smaller butterfly plate".
If not did you notice any high idle issue's? or does it fix itself?

Old 11-05-2009, 11:09 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll see about getting a video, just gotta find a place to do it since they closed off the old runway I use to go out to.

Weed - The screws are the most difficult part of getting the plate out, they are really soft metal and strip really easy. I could not get mine out of my stock TB which is why I sent the ported TB back so he could do it and not ruin it. As far as the bore, 85mm is what he reccomends unless you are going with PP heads then he would bore it to a straight through 85mm. and even then the the sidewalls on the TB are really thin. I dont think you could get another 5mm out of it.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:45 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by RubberFrog
I love my knife edge from Dan. I wasn't aware that so many poeple had problems with it.

You're right that this is an impressive off-the-line mod. It may not do a lot for track times, but for daily driving this mod is awesome.
Well he basically said that there were a lot of people that were having the same problems I was having and that it was a toss up on if it work for one person and not for another, no idea why though.

Originally Posted by cheapbeater
now i want one! maybe i should risk the knife edge... did they charge you any extra to send it back and have the knife edge removed?
If he will still do the knife edge it be something to try, I risked it to see what it would do and it had some good points and some bad ones. Just be aware that if it does throw a code like mine did the truck wont run all that great and jump around at idle, 500rpms-1500rpms back and forth til it levels out. Mine also never showed a CEL, but doing the key trick brought up a code and using a scanner brought up the code too.

As far as returning it, I just had to pay the shipping to and from, which was all of about $28. I sent it to him last thursday and got it back wednesday.

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Hey truckin, you say he opened it up to 85mm. is that at the butterfly plate as well? Did he install a larger Plate too so there isn't a gap around the edges from a "smaller butterfly plate".
If not did you notice any high idle issue's? or does it fix itself?
Its a tapered bore, not a straight through bore. It starts at the leading edge of the butterfly plate and tapers out to the front of the TB. You can see it in the pics. I am not sure if it is opened up any around the plate though, but the angle the plate is possitioned is slightly more open than the stock plate.

As far as idle issues, it goes up to about 900rpm for an instant and then drops down to around 600rpms hich is where it usually is.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:48 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Actually after looking back at the pics I'm almost possitive that it is opened up some around the plate, dont have a mic to check by how much though or I would.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:23 PM
butch1581
Captain

I had a fastman TB on my old Durango with the 5.2. It made a good difference. I didn't know Dan "the fastman" did the HEMI TBs its not even listed on his site:

http://www.thefastman.com/index.asp

Old 11-05-2009, 05:33 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

You have to email him about them, but yes he does do them and does a hell of a job too

Old 11-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by truckin151
I'll see about getting a video, just gotta find a place to do it since they closed off the old runway I use to go out to.
There has to be a parking lot or something near your house to do a little vid.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:21 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

Arizona is FULL of empty stretches of road!

Old 11-05-2009, 07:15 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

not in the metro area.... its full of cops where im at.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:47 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its not illegal unless you get caught....right....dan is a great person to work with and his products are fantastic.....no doubt about it

Quick Reply: Round 2.... Ported TB