3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Round 2.... Ported TB

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 12:21 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Round 2.... Ported TB

Well came home today with a package sitting on my door step, my ported throttle body I sent back last week to have the knife edge removed came back in today....

So after removing the stock TB and installing this one, I reset the diablo tune making a few tweaks for the WOT fuel setting and a few shift adjustments, then took it out for a spin..... and by spin I do mean making the truck go sideways from a dead stop!!!! 0-40mph, a 15ft stretch of tread on the asphalt and my trucks going sideways the whole time smoking the tires, I have NEVER been able to do that, last time I really tried was after the TC was installed and that resulted in a squeal of the tires and left about 8ft of tread on the pavement. So needless to say I have a grin ear to ear right now!!!

Now, the peddle response is better than it was before, but no where near as sensitive as it was with the one with the knife edge, no codes (YAY!!!), launches are not as hard as what they were with the knife edge on though but I figured that was going to happen. This one feels more like a daily driver the other one was more like a dragster....

Also on my little "test drive" I got to play a little. Stopped at a light and this late 90's mustang rolls up next to me... no badges or anything on it, nice sounding exhaust, scoop on the hood, 22" rims... I happen to look over at it and he inches forward making sure I can hear him, light turns green, he was at my door half way through the intersection before I laid into it (after going sideways from a dead stop I wanted to have some traction before I nailed it), after that, he was in my rear view mirror about 3 truck lengths back. At the next light he wouldn't even look over at me he just rolled his windows up and moved over a lane from me... guess his pride was hurt a little...

Last edited by truckin151; 11-05-2009 at 12:23 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:44 AM
i-love-my-dodge

Sweet and nice kill man, great review as well.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:21 AM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so was the knife edge causing the code? i cant believe that tb makes such a difference, but i suppose it complements all of your other mods quite well.
glad you got it all worked out. and nice kill

Old 11-05-2009, 06:24 AM
butch1581
Captain

Where did you get your TB from?

Old 11-05-2009, 07:24 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

****ting me, I want that knife edge. LOL

Thx for the feedback on it though. ;-)

Old 11-05-2009, 09:02 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by cheapbeater
so was the knife edge causing the code? i cant believe that tb makes such a difference, but i suppose it complements all of your other mods quite well.
glad you got it all worked out. and nice kill
Yeah the knife edge had to have been causing the code, it had a lot more of a punch though off the line with the knife edge than it does with the new one but I am not getting any codes and tapping the gas does not result in a 10mph jump in to the car in front of me so I am very pleased with it.

Even pre-headers with the one with the knife edge, the truck had quite a bit more pep to it and the throttle response was almost instant (little to no lag). I was not expecting a whole lot from it either until I had that first one on, and then it was more along the lines of "oh sh*t wow all of that from that little thing?". So it suprised me a bit.

Originally Posted by butch1581
Where did you get your TB from?
Its a Fastman Throttle Body bored out to 85mm with a half shaft. Ran $237 shipped and I must say Dan is a very good guy to work with, he ships fast and turn around is really quick if you ever need to send something back.

Originally Posted by weedahoe
****ting me, I want that knife edge. LOL

Thx for the feedback on it though. ;-)
Well unless you decide to knife edge your own, I think Dan (thefastman) is getting rid of the knife edge option all together since so many people seem to be having issues with it. It does turns the truck into a hot rod though if you dont get any codes and can live with the SUPER sensative throttle.

The combo of adding the LT headers along with the ported TB I got in her now is just a killer combo!!! The truck moves very quickly 0-60 (if you can get traction) and then just pulls from 60-100 like its nothing, it just glides all the way up the powerband.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by truckin151
and by spin I do mean making the truck go sideways from a dead stop!!!! 0-40mph, a 15ft stretch of tread on the asphalt and my trucks going sideways the whole time smoking the tires
This sounds like a great idea for a little video.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:27 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Good call in the vid request teach, as for the knife edge, I guess I could always swap out the plates if I wanted to.

Is 85 the largest he could go up to?

Old 11-05-2009, 10:53 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

I love my knife edge from Dan. I wasn't aware that so many poeple had problems with it.

You're right that this is an impressive off-the-line mod. It may not do a lot for track times, but for daily driving this mod is awesome.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:53 AM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

now i want one! maybe i should risk the knife edge... did they charge you any extra to send it back and have the knife edge removed?

Quick Reply: Round 2.... Ported TB