3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Warning, Our paint sucks

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 07:24 PM
That1guy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning, Our paint sucks

Well I have bad news. My pretty truck got its front fender bumped of a concrete pole in a parking garage. I was talking to my buddy and completely forgot it was there and cut into while backing out. I feel so stupid. It put a small dent in it which knocked out pretty good, but the paint..... The paint chipped where it hit and then it started to crack and spread everywhere. Straight to bare metal. I don't understand why. I've never seen paint flake like that. We had super dutys at work run into trees and have never seen paint do this. It made the whole thing that much worse it flaked off. Now i need the whole fender painted

Sorry about the rant. I feel stupid for not paying attention, and pissed that the paint didnt hold up at all.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:26 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

i have the same problem. I backed into a brick column a few months ago and the paint flaked and rusted right away. havent gotten in fixed yet.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:30 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Newer Furds and Chebys will do it too. The dip treatments they use on the metal body parts make the surface unporous so the paint layers basically coat the surface of the metal instead of soaking into it and bonding with it during the drying process like they used to.
The price you pay for not having a three or four year old truck start to rust through like the good old days.
If you notice, the bare spots will get a surface rust, but you never see the rust thru's that you saw ten or fifteen years ago...

Old 11-06-2009, 08:09 PM
That1guy
Veteran

Well the i took the fender off and knocked it right out and then put a crap load of clear nail polish on all the cracks and bare spots.

Is the spot fixable or does the whole thing need painted?

Old 11-06-2009, 08:16 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If you can feather a spray on real good you can get away with it. I suck at it, but I've seen guys not even use an air sprayer, just a can of color-match and do a perfect job.

The clear nail polish trick is a life saver. I've used that stuff to paint over chips, fix fishing rod guides, you name it...

Quick Reply: Warning, Our paint sucks