3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Jumping your car

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009 | 11:21 PM
Durnk
|
Default Jumping your car

So I bumped my fog light switch and drained my battery. I jump started it and it startard to run like ****. It wouldn't shift into 2nd and would bog and act sluggish. So I turned around a headed back home. I parked it and shut it off then turned it back on. It runs fine now but my check engine light is now on. Did I fry something or is the computer just confused cause I jumped it and all I need is them to reset my codes? Curious if anyone else has had this problem. Yes I had the positive to positive and ground to ground.

Ohh yea, and to top it off, as I was backing out I didnt see that my dad had pulled in behind me and I backed into him. Totally smashed the driver side rear door and quarter panel and only left a small smudge on my truck and scuff on my bumper. Luckily it will buff out. I also got lucky because he drives a piece of **** chevy prism and doesnt care about fixing it. He can still open the fuel door and the door. I looked up at him after I hit him and he was laughing. It took me about 5-10 min to get out cause I didn't want to see the damage to my truck. Will take some pics tomorrow.

Old 11-07-2009 | 11:39 PM
RawRam2006
Veteran

Well, only advice I have is.......make sure you jump with a car that's NOT running. They say you're not even supposed to jump start cars anymore, due to the on board computers. You're supposed to use one of those portable jump starters thingy's. Forgive me IDK what they're called.

With my bike I jumped on time, I had a bad regulator rectifier and stator, and fried the ECU. Had to buy another one. Didn't know the car that I was jumping off of had to be off. It wasn't. LOL. They said it was due to the amperage of the "jumper vehicle", it was a lot higher than the amperage on my bike.

The best policy is to jump with the "jumper car" not running. Just as if you were borrowing their battery. Make sense?

Old 11-07-2009 | 11:55 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker

if your battery is dead, you wont be able to get enough juice to start it unless the jumper vehicle is running...
i've heard of frying computers when jumping too because of the sudden surge of juice.

you should tap your switch for your fog lights into your cig lighter so it turns off when you turn the key off! then this wont happen again

Old 11-08-2009 | 12:04 AM
RawRam2006
Veteran

Originally Posted by cheapbeater
if your battery is dead, you wont be able to get enough juice to start it unless the jumper vehicle is running...
Really? Hmm, that doesn't really make sense. Unless your jumper car is a pinto. LOL. I see what your saying though. I know that everytime I've jump started a car I had the jumper car running. But, the car I was jumping didn't have an expensive a** computer to fry either. LOL. I would just use caution when doing that. It might just be worth it to buy, and carry in your vehicle, one of those portable battery jumper thingy's. If it happens to ya enough, like a bad alternator or something, it might be worth it to ya.

Old 11-08-2009 | 12:23 AM
ried69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RawRam2006
Well, only advice I have is.......make sure you jump with a car that's NOT running. They say you're not even supposed to jump start cars anymore, due to the on board computers. You're supposed to use one of those portable jump starters thingy's. Forgive me IDK what they're called.

With my bike I jumped on time, I had a bad regulator rectifier and stator, and fried the ECU. Had to buy another one. Didn't know the car that I was jumping off of had to be off. It wasn't. LOL. They said it was due to the amperage of the "jumper vehicle", it was a lot higher than the amperage on my bike.

The best policy is to jump with the "jumper car" not running. Just as if you were borrowing their battery. Make sense?
They are called a Booster Pack or Jumper Pack usually.
The main thing is just to hook up the connections correctly in the right order, and with both vehicles off. If you do that, you should be safe.

Old 11-08-2009 | 03:28 AM
moosefire66
Veteran

Originally Posted by RawRam2006

Actually, your vehicle needs to be running. The dead battery will suck the power from another battery. You need the power given from the alternator to jump start the vehicle. You had a problem because you had a car jump your motorcycle. That is not recommended. The power from a normal automotive battery can warp your plates, or even cause the battery to explode.

And note, when jumping a vehicle, the correct method is the cables hooked up to the starting vehicle, and for the jump vehicle, you only hook up the positive to the battery. The negative clamp should be hooked up to a solid ground. not the batteries ground.

Old 11-08-2009 | 08:40 AM
907hemi
Amateur

something to keep in mind while jumping vehicles is that batteries that are dead are likely to have low water. so when you start jumping it puts off a gas that is very flammable. it is best to find a common ground. so dont use the negative battery post because when you go to disconnect you COULD blow up the battery in either car and its not a good thing. i had it happen once and i got acid in my eyes and im lucky to be seeing. just something to keep in mind.

Old 11-08-2009 | 12:09 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator

Once you hook up the cables to both vehicles, you then start the booster car and let the alternator charge the dead battery for a bit before trying to start the dead vehicle.

Old 11-08-2009 | 01:28 PM
Durnk
|

Well the check engine light went off. Everything seems to be running fine.

Old 11-08-2009 | 02:48 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User

Originally Posted by Durnk
Well the check engine light went off. Everything seems to be running fine.

Good to hear. se the mess you caused....lol

battery must have been super dead and the ecu had to relearn everything and you didn't give it a chance to do so.

Quick Reply: Jumping your car