3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

kinda bouncy, better shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 05:55 PM
xill
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kinda bouncy, better shocks?

hey all, most of you know my truck and know i just had it lifted and whatnot. i really like the stance and height i have now, but i'm just not too crazy about the ride. i know lifted trucks are suppose to be kinda bouncy and stuff but what can i do to make it a little smoother inside the cab? i have an 8" suspension lift (which consists of the 7" CST lift kit + 1" coil spacers) and a 3" body lift. i'm sure the spacers stuffed in on top of the springs aren't helping my ride, but i need them for clearance. in all honesty i probably need another 1" in clearance up front too. are there any shocks you guys would recommend that would help out? I almost upgraded from the CST shocks to Bilsteins during installation but i was told the Bilsteins would be a little harsher/stiffer ride. i kinda want to get it back to how it felt stock. any of you guys tried an airbag suspension? how do those feel? this isn't a necessary upgrade, i love the truck now but like you all know, this never ends. tweak this tweak that...

Old 11-11-2009, 11:09 PM
Rizam
Professional

Bags are worse, My brother has an 08 QC CTD with 8" lift and dual Bilsteins on the front and rear. It rides better than mine which has a 2.5" leveling kit and Bilstiens. Also thats what you get when you put huge rims on and a tire with barely any sidewall. I hate how mine rides too. I'm just about to the point of the 6" procomp kit W Coilovers.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:09 AM
hemiguy0302
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by xill
hey all, most of you know my truck and know i just had it lifted and whatnot. i really like the stance and height i have now, but i'm just not too crazy about the ride. i know lifted trucks are suppose to be kinda bouncy and stuff but what can i do to make it a little smoother inside the cab? i have an 8" suspension lift (which consists of the 7" CST lift kit + 1" coil spacers) and a 3" body lift. i'm sure the spacers stuffed in on top of the springs aren't helping my ride, but i need them for clearance. in all honesty i probably need another 1" in clearance up front too. are there any shocks you guys would recommend that would help out? I almost upgraded from the CST shocks to Bilsteins during installation but i was told the Bilsteins would be a little harsher/stiffer ride. i kinda want to get it back to how it felt stock. any of you guys tried an airbag suspension? how do those feel? this isn't a necessary upgrade, i love the truck now but like you all know, this never ends. tweak this tweak that...
The addition of all the extra unsprung weight to the ends of the axles and the additional strain provided by the lift will quickly demonstrate why good shocks are needed. Point in case: My buddy had a 2500 GMC with a 6" lift and 20's with some 35's. The truck was ultra bouncy after the lift because it only had a single base model shock absorber on each corner. What we did was add a dual shock hoop to the front and added 2 more of an upgraded shock to each front corner in addition to the base model shock. The rear just saw an upgraded shock per corner and wow the ride was so much better the truck felt more controlled at all speeds and the bounce was gone.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:21 AM
xill
Captain

sounds like this will be next on my list then

Old 11-12-2009, 12:26 AM
hemiguy0302
Record Breaker

Yup it should definitely help and as a bonus it looks great. Are yo panning on running fender flares?

Old 11-12-2009, 12:33 AM
DodgeThunder
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn i was all excited when i saw that you got a 7 inch kit.. Im having a hell of a time trying to find something over 6.. And then I checked the website and its only 2wd they do.. brutalll! I cant understand why no one will make an 8inch kit for our trucks!!

Old 11-12-2009, 12:39 AM
xill
Captain

Originally Posted by hemiguy0302
Yup it should definitely help and as a bonus it looks great. Are yo panning on running fender flares?
i havent decided yet. i have a list of body parts i'm collecting before i get the paint done but the flares are at the bottom of the list since honestly i like it without flares but the rams with flares look good too. if i do get flares it'll probably be the sport ones like you have. the pocket flares seem to be a little too much with everything else i have going on. wanna keep it clean as possible with not much eye-clutter. the wheels catch enough attention as it is. for the shocks, any specific type you'd recommend? i've heard alot of good things about both bilsteins and fox shocks. both look great, but it's the functionality & durability i'm after

Old 11-12-2009, 12:43 AM
xill
Captain

Originally Posted by DodgeThunder
Damn i was all excited when i saw that you got a 7 inch kit.. Im having a hell of a time trying to find something over 6.. And then I checked the website and its only 2wd they do.. brutalll! I cant understand why no one will make an 8inch kit for our trucks!!
the main reason is because you guys have problems with your CV axles when running diameters larger than 35s (unless you swap out your IFS). since a 6" lift is all you need for those tires, i would think the demand for larger lifts is low. if you want 8" i'd say get the 6" lift and stack on a 2" body lift. any good suspension shop could work a hybrid/custom 8" kit for you too if you're dead-set against body lifts

Old 11-12-2009, 12:45 AM
hemiguy0302
Record Breaker

Well if you could really afford it the fox shocks would be a juicy option but the bilsteins in a multiple shock application should be prime as well. If you do go with bilsteins they make some nice reservoir shocks for not too much so give them a look too. Yeah good direction with the flares too I think you are on the right track to go with something mild like my flares and paint them to match. Its kind of like they are there but they are not sorta deal and it should keep extra picky officers of the law off your *** if tire stick out is one of their pet peeves. Hopefully someone else can add to shock recommendations as well.

Quick Reply: kinda bouncy, better shocks?