3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Noise from Drivetrain?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Matt99
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from Drivetrain?

Okay, well I think I have some problems with my drivetrain. The faster I go, the worse this whining sound. Sounds like I'm rolling with 38" Iroks. Thing is, I've got the stock Goodyears. The faster I go the higher the pitch, and as I'm slowing down you can raally hear it, but no change with braking.

Jacked up the rear yesterday, and threw it into drive and guesss what? Same sound. Sounds like it's from the driveshaft but due to exhaust I can't pinpoint it. No vibration at either end. Any idea?

Old 11-11-2009, 10:21 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Whining is usually attributed to two things, the little woman (thankfully I lost that problem) or ring and pinion issues. Pull the pumpkin and have a look...

Old 11-11-2009, 11:15 PM
tlawre87
Veteran

yep sounds like you got a bad pinion. That was bad on my jeep, but I got lucky and it was on the front axle.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Matt99
Champion

OKAY, took it to the dealership since I have the warranty still...they said they have to replace the whole rearend, we will see what that entails

Old 11-12-2009, 04:05 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt99
OKAY, took it to the dealership since I have the warranty still...they said they have to replace the whole rearend, we will see what that entails

haha yeah, prob like 1 of the bearings and leave the rest...lol
replace only the ring and not the pinion.....lol

Ohh, and they will prob try and charge you for the fluid that goes into the rear end even though Their warranty issue was a direct cause for replacement. this topic has been discussed before, so if your rear diff fluid was in need of a change, they will charge you. Who knows. i guess every one is different.

I was gonna say possibly really worn u-joints, but you would get banging when you threw it into gear and such...

Old 11-12-2009, 09:40 PM
Matt99
Champion

yea, I had brand new RP differential fluid. I wouldn't be happy to be charged for them to drain it and install Mopar oil. And yea, im sure they will just change the fluid and tell me they couldn't replicate it AGAIN...

and I did the forward/reverse/forward/reverse "test" on the ujoint, no noise

Quick Reply: Noise from Drivetrain?