3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Loosing Water and Burning Oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 06:59 PM
DerekWagen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loosing Water and Burning Oil

Ive got an 04 Dodge Ram 1500, with 195k miles 4.7 and over the past few days ive noticed it trying to overheat on me. Not all the time when i look under the hood when its overheating is the water done/boiled off but i have no signs of leaks from the radiator. Pulled the heads not cracks in the heads replaces the valve cover gasket, i just have no idea where the water/oil are going i have drained my oil pan to check for water nothing. Temp sensor working suction hose from the motor to the radiator is hot so coolant is flowing. After long idles and a quick tap of the gas i get a cloud of smoke out the exhaust but its not oil almost like condensation, but i like in texas its a 100 degrees this time of year and no humidity so i cant image n it being condensation from the air could it be coming from the engine?

Any info on the subject would be great because over the past week ive ran up and down this truck and i cant make out anything being wrong.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:36 PM
wingnutks
Professional

could the heads be warped?

Old 09-04-2012, 08:13 PM
DerekWagen

Well when i pulled the heads everything looked great i did just check compression in the cylinders and the back 2 on the passenger side are around 110-125 all the rest are at 145-150

Old 09-04-2012, 10:47 PM
wingnutks
Professional

Originally Posted by DerekWagen
Well when i pulled the heads everything looked great i did just check compression in the cylinders and the back 2 on the passenger side are around 110-125 all the rest are at 145-150
2 things.

1. I am not an engine builder, but I think those passenger cylinders are too low. No?

2. My dad had a 4.7 that went because it over heated the rear passenger cylinder. My bro was driving it when it happened, so I am not sure what happened and how. But it over heated, and the signs were shown in the rear passenger cylinder.

I hope it works out better for you.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:43 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If you are not loosing water through leaks externally on the engine then you are leaking and using it internally. If the water isnt ending up in the oil pan, then it is going out the exh as vapor.

You sir, have cracked/warped heads or bad head gaskets. Not being mean but I dont care that you say you checked or changed, but those are the ONLY two ways youre going to lose coolant

Old 09-05-2012, 12:26 AM
guitman32
Rookie

In the marine engine world, that would be considered a "blown" motor...you are at about 24% variance on your rear two cylinders (assuming 110 lowest, 145 highest)...with compression its not the actual numbers that matter more how close each cylinder is to one another.

Quick Reply: Loosing Water and Burning Oil