3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

SC Cortex vs SCT tune

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 04:17 AM
xill
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC Cortex vs SCT tune

was talking with nick over at AirRam today and he told me that they're now offering SCT tuning with lifetime updates and tweaks. I'm new to SCT tuning and while it seems very beneficial, i wanted to hear from some people that have had it done already. I have the Superchips Cortex, which i mainly got to recalibrate for my tires and gear swap, but i know it does do a little bit of tuning for better performance as well. anyone ever upgrade from superchips to a SCT tune? was it worth the extra money? Nick is offering a pretty good deal right now, so i wanna jump on it if there's drastic improvements for me over the boxed superchips i already have (in which case i'll be selling my cortex asap)...

Old 11-12-2009, 07:04 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Still no tranny support from SCT and hell, last time I talked to Marty at KRC, didn't even support over-size tire calibrations for my '04.

Sucks b*lls too, cause I was really wanting to use a custom SCT tune when I did the cam that's gathering dust in my garage...

Old 11-12-2009, 08:42 AM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well there is hope, you can run BOTH hammer

As far as personal experience, I have none. I just know that if you plan on more of a heavily modded truck then you will benefit more from the SCT.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:28 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

Unless you are doing a cam, sct will be a downgrade with no tranny/tire support.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:49 AM
SilsHemi
All Star

Heads, cams, etc. will need custom tuning. = SCT

TCM support, tire size, gear ratio, plus the upcoming transmission options. = Superchips

Sil

Old 11-12-2009, 10:13 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Stick with the superchips, you're going to need the ability tune for the tires and will greatly appreciate the trans settings. You can run also mild cam off of it as well if you plan on going that rout too.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:16 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SilsHemi
Heads, cams, etc. will need custom tuning. = SCT

TCM support, tire size, gear ratio, plus the upcoming transmission options. = Superchips

Sil
Hence, the cam still sits in the garage! (well a lack of funding is kinda to blame also, but if the tune issue was resolved, I'd rob from peter to pay paul to finish this truck)!

I'm still miffed about SC lying to me via email and the phone and telling me they would be doing custom tunes when I checked before I bought my SC! But, that's water under the bridge and been covered in posts of the past...

Old 11-12-2009, 10:34 AM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I said it already but you might have missed it. STACK the two. Fastest Hemi ram, I believe is running a SC/SCT combo

Old 11-12-2009, 04:20 PM
xill
Captain

ouch no tire calibrations? hmm, looks like i'll be stacking the two. for now i'll stick with my cortex then. when i figure out what i want to do for more power (because the day will come...) then i'll worry with the custom tuning after i decide on motor upgrades. thanks for the insight guys

Old 11-12-2009, 07:40 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I'm still miffed about SC lying to me via email and the phone and telling me they would be doing custom tunes when I checked before I bought my SC! But, that's water under the bridge and been covered in posts of the past...
Sounds like several of us have been burned by SC. I got promised a free upgrade (that i wasnt supposed to tell anyone about) when we found out the 3815 wouldnt support the new upgrade. Think they've kept that promise? Nope. Again, water under the bridge. Not like it makes a difference... us 03 guys get the shaft for all the tuning stuff anyways.

Quick Reply: SC Cortex vs SCT tune