3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hard Lid Solid Fold Tonneau Covers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 06:22 AM
RockyMtnXpress
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Lid Solid Fold Tonneau Covers?

Hey to everyone here in 3rd Gen.

Several days ago I became a new member here at “DodgeForums” and did my customary “New Member” gig and so forth.

I have a question regarding tonneau covers. I know I did a search here and really found some great answers, or comments, regarding this subject. I did go to a local (Phoenix, AZ) 4x4 shop yesterday and I was like the proverbial “Kid in a candy store”. They had all sorts of displays with different tonneau covers. Quite frankly, I went in with an idea of what I wanted an and came out with an idea that was different.

I bought my ‘08 Dodge 4x4 with the idea of doing “Some” 4 wheelin’ and hauling my show car on a trailer. Especially, when it comes time to move to Colorado. It is a short bed, quad cab and I like the idea of installing said cover to “save some on gas mileage”. Don’t we all? The previously mentioned store I visited has me “almost” sold on a hard lid, solid fold made by extang. This unit folds at two locations and can be buckled at the front “if” hauling something on the go is required. It can also be easily removed. Does anyone here have any thought on this? I just don’t intend to buy something that is junk in a few years only because the salesman said it is one of their top sellers. Someone here whom has field tested this unit on their truck would say it all. Especially when it comes to weathertite seals and hinges, ease of use and if this unit “Rattles in the wind” when cruising down the highway.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:31 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

How much for the extang? i personally will only buy a Retrax when i get the ***** to drop some dough on a tonneau cover. They are the best IMO and much easier to use than a folding bulky hard cover. They are a bit expensive, but my buddy has had his on his cheby for almost 10years now and is still solid and fully functional. HERE

Old 11-14-2009, 11:44 PM
RockyMtnXpress

Originally Posted by dirtydog
How much for the extang? i personally will only buy a Retrax when i get the ***** to drop some dough on a tonneau cover. They are the best IMO and much easier to use than a folding bulky hard cover. They are a bit expensive, but my buddy has had his on his cheby for almost 10years now and is still solid and fully functional. HERE

Thanks for the suggestion! Strong possible contender in my decision process.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:04 AM
Grauwulf

A lot of it depends on what you want to use the bed of your truck for. I have a hard cover and a soft cover for my Dakota that I am selling and while I love the security and looks of a hard cover, I couldn't easily haul anything in the bed of the truck unless it was shorter than the top of the bed rails. So I found myself pulling my utility trailer quite often. The softcover was nice in that I would unsnap it and roll it up, during the winter here you could never put it back on again, it shrank too much. Now for my new Ram, I am looking at the soft cover version of the Xtang Trifecta or the Xtang Full-tilt, both of which can be removed in a matter of minutes with no tools. You have to look at what's going to be the easiest to deal with for the kind of loads you will put in the back of the truck.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:50 AM
RockyMtnXpress

Originally Posted by Grauwulf
A lot of it depends on what you want to use the bed of your truck for. I have a hard cover and a soft cover for my Dakota that I am selling and while I love the security and looks of a hard cover, I couldn't easily haul anything in the bed of the truck unless it was shorter than the top of the bed rails. So I found myself pulling my utility trailer quite often. The softcover was nice in that I would unsnap it and roll it up, during the winter here you could never put it back on again, it shrank too much. Now for my new Ram, I am looking at the soft cover version of the Xtang Trifecta or the Xtang Full-tilt, both of which can be removed in a matter of minutes with no tools. You have to look at what's going to be the easiest to deal with for the kind of loads you will put in the back of the truck.
Soft covers is something I would like to stay away from. As you mentioned, it's the exposure to the elements that bring back painful memories of my last soft cover.

After we purchased the truck, several months ago, the first thing my wife and I thought of was a tonneau cover. Orginally thought was a fiberglass hard cover...Much like my friend's cover on his 4x4 chebbie. After talking to him and finding out the fiberglass cover limits what can be carried in the bed, we opted to go another route. Next thought was a camper, but that can still limit what could be carried in the bed. A little investigation and I found one style of tonneau cover after another that either fold back, roll back or can be removed under five minutes. Of course, with any of the ones I mentioned the proverbial saying comes in play..."The sky is the limit". Problem here is there are so many different covers out there! Remember my mentioned 4x4 chebbie friend? He warned me against any thing that folds. "The hinges wear out and they leak" he told me. The roll aways, once they're tweaked, it's usefullness is over (I still don't see myself placing any weight on the cover itself, which would damage it).

SO! Still open to suggestions and to anyone that had good and bad experiences with any cover.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:10 AM
JCinDE
Professional

I had a velcro-secured, between-the-rails, rollup cover installed about 6 months after I bought my '03. It was the best choice, imo. It still looks and works great. The support bars are sewn into the cover and just roll up with it when I need to use the bed.

I'd personally never go with a hard cover. I can't always predict when I'll need to haul something and futzing around with a hard cover is hassle I don't need. With mine, I pop the latch and roll it up. 30 seconds and the bed is clear. When I'm done, another 30 seconds to roll it out and secure the velcro and I'm good to go.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:41 PM
05RamMan
Captain

I have a cheap vinyl roll up cover for about 6 months no, and I love it. I would really like on of the power retractabl covers though.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:04 PM
The Bull
Professional

the roll and lock is the best between worlds. its soft on stop but with steel on the bottom and it locks. http://www.rollnlock.com/

Old 11-16-2009, 09:27 PM
superbike7
Rookie

I have an Extang Full Tilt Soft cover that I bought on craigslist for $150. It is great you can roll it up, lift it up or remove it in seconds. One of the best items I have ever purchased. As for MPG I haven't noticed much difference around town and haven't done enough highway miles to notice a gain there.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Freakinkeith806
All Star

I'm waiting to spend the cash on a hard shell cover, they are not cheap though..

Quick Reply: Hard Lid Solid Fold Tonneau Covers?