3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP! interior LEDs

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 12:14 PM
vguaman87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! interior LEDs

hey guys hows it going? i have an 07 ram. i just bought interior LEDs for it. i installed them all and they seem to flicker??? when i turn my truck off they dont go off. they stay lit a tiny bit. can anyone help? i called the company and they said i need to install a reisistor. i went to radio shack and they have 3 drawers ful of different resistors. which one do i need? does anyone know? they said i should only need one resister in one of the dome lights to even the resistance. i put LEDs in the 2 overhead map lights and the center dome light. i took the overhead dome light LED out to bring it in radio shack with me and put in the stock bulb for the time being and the map light LEDs work fine! but as soon as i install the 3rd LED in the overhead dome light they all go crazy! can anyone help please? they look really nice. doesnt anyone know what size resistor i need? how many OHM? please help. thanks in advance!

Old 11-29-2009, 12:27 AM
twev

i'm having some what of the same problem. the LEDs work great and look great, but the only time i have a problem is when i hit one of the individual map lights to come on and it barely lights up. so now when i need interior lighting i have to use the main switch to turn on all the interior lights. sounds like i need a resistor as well

Old 11-29-2009, 10:41 AM
vguaman87

no one can help? i only have 7 days to return them. so i want to get them to work. if not i have to return them..

Old 11-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

I'd take a standard bulb, measure the resistance with an ohm meter, then buy a resister that's as close to that as possible. Not sure if it's right but might as well start somewhere. Buy a range of them, most cost around .45 cents anyway. If you took out three bulbs, try a resistor thats slightly less than all three combined. That should bring your ampres back to what they were origonally.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:28 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Why didnt the company telll you what resistor to use?

Old 11-30-2009, 12:07 AM
vguaman87

they said to bring the stock bulb into radio shack and they will know what resistor to use but radio shack said they have no idea lol.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:22 AM
ChaseRAM
Professional

I hope this helps. I ordered the RECON LED interior kit and I had the same issues. After messing with them I figured out by flipping them where the ends were on different sides it fixed it. I don't know if there's a negative/positive end as I'm no electrician whatsoever but by flipping them it fixed all my issues.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:43 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by vguaman87
they said to bring the stock bulb into radio shack and they will know what resistor to use but radio shack said they have no idea lol.
Well then that sounds like they want RS to do what Last of the 5.9s was talking about and take the bulb and measure the resistance of it using a meter and then buying the resistors close to it. 1/8 watt resistors would be fine.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:38 PM
vguaman87

ill give that a try. and just put the resistor right to the pos and neg of the bulb right? right next to the bulb? only on one of the bulbs?

Old 11-30-2009, 04:19 PM
98cherryram
Record Breaker

If turning it around doesnt work I would suggest doing what last of the 5.9's said and getting all 3 of the different sizes and test them. Its like he said, they arent exactly expensive. Mine all worked on my dome lights, but maybe thats because I have an 02 instead of an 07, do the 07's have an interior bulb out monitor as well?

Quick Reply: HELP! interior LEDs