3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Viper 5901

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Thatonekidw/theHEMI
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper 5901

I got a Viper 5901 remote start alarm combo with a 2 way receiver.
I must say i love it. Its a must have here in MI with the cold winters.
It was a SOB to get programmed though( thanks to my dealership)
anyway. It works very well. Has all the features. Window controls proximity sensors, auto defrost ect...
If your in the market for one go with Viper.
Ive had other cheaper models in the past and i would say this one is hands down the best.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Ice-Forever
All Star

How much was it?

Old 11-29-2009, 09:39 PM
jk111

I have the same model and love it as well. The remote start is great but the 2-way remote is the best feature. It's great that the remote is rechargeable because the battery dies very quickly.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:40 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 11-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Thatonekidw/theHEMI
Veteran

Well since i work at best buy i got a steal on it. I got everything (unit bypass relays ect..)
all for $250 installed. which is a hell of a deal. The unit itself only ran me $120

Old 11-29-2009, 10:02 PM
nicholoff

i also have this system and love it, it does have an 8 second lag on the remote start end and up to a 4 second lag on the locking. u can fix it by putting a resistor on the antenna wire, i finally managed to get an extra newer style antenna to try it on. i am in professional installer at skory autosound in lansing michigan we charge 599 for the unit installed. all the new dei products come default in manual trans mode and you have to plug in the neutral saftey switch or else the rs wont work.
your truck is cake thats a 2-3hr truck done clean.
a word to the wise dont buy offline go to the shop spend the money support your local shops and economy you will have a true lifetime warrenty on the unit and lifetime on the installation. its worth the money and your not giving your money to these internet electronics sites.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:27 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

True on maybe the lifetime installation but hardware is totally different. IMO, if its installed right the first time then you will never be back. However, I know on my Clifford 50.7x (same as 5901) the 2way replacement remote was 150ish. Thats kinda crazy when you can buy the whole system online for 250ish.

Like I said, Ive got the Clifford and I love mine. I used the remote started this morning before coming to work. And keep in mind the less battery power you have on the 2way, the less distance the remote will work.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:23 AM
nicholoff

units do ship bad out of the box. good luck getting that warrentied threw an online company. they drag their feet. if urs is bad out of the box i have another instock no waiting. and yes the remote are expensive msrp is 300 on them normally.
ur remote will go down to a 1 way remote when the battery life is low so yes the range will go down. but did u extend ur antenna wire all the way? not bunched up under the dash?

Old 12-01-2009, 11:27 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I dont have an issue with mine and my range is great. I installed everything myself as I used to be an installer and know how to do it. My 2way got caught on something and broke at the spinning park on the bottom. DEI replaced my remote.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Thatonekidw/theHEMI
Veteran

The problem with mine was the dealership blocked my key program from being changed.
Its supposed to hold up to 5 keys and mine was locked at 3. So i had to put my valet key in the car and run relays to make it work. the easy plug and play bypass wouldn't work.
I am having a problem with my 2 way unit. Its with the actual remote start button itself. But thats covered under the warranty so im getting a new one tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Viper 5901