3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

stalling?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 12:09 PM
williaco
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stalling?

I have a 05 1500 QC w/ Hemi which only has about 800 miles on it. Ths morning i pulled into the parking lot at work and when i turned the wheel hard to park it stalled without warning. It started right up again with no problem and with no warning lights on. My questions is is this out of the norm. My drive to work is only three miles. Could it be that the engine wasn't warm. Should I be concerned enough to take it to the dealer. This has never happened.

Old 04-12-2005, 01:00 PM
Wideglide2K
Default RE: stalling?

I have 05 Hemi. The same thing happened to me. Around 800 miles. I was backing out of a parking space, the wheel turned and it stalled. Also happened when I was stopped at a red light. Both times the engine was at running temp. But I was running 87. I changed to 89 and it has not happened since.

Old 04-12-2005, 01:36 PM
bign1976
Veteran

The day after I got mine, I stopped, ran into the gas station for something, came out, and when I went to start the truck it cranked for a long time . No stalling but thats it. never did it again.

Old 04-13-2005, 01:51 AM
usmc hemi

i have a 05 qc and mine stalled on me twice when i was idle at a stop light. i took into the dealership and of course they had no idea what happened ( go figuire ) they flashed the computer for the injectors. so far ( about 1200 miles ) i have not had any problem and i stick to 87 due to california gas prices. i hope this helps.

Old 04-15-2005, 12:14 AM
hemichris

Just had the same thing happen to me today. It's got 990 miles on it. Whats this all about?[:@]

Old 04-15-2005, 11:27 AM
Wideglide2K

Is it the grade of gas... I am using 89 now and it has not happened since

Old 04-15-2005, 12:04 PM
williaco

I have always used 89 and it still happened

Old 04-15-2005, 01:33 PM
WXman

I think what's happening in this guy's case is the computer idles the engine at too low of a RPM and when he cranks the wheel hard at idle to pull into a parking space the power steering pump is trying to draw more power from the engine than the engine can deliver at that idle...which cause the engine to die.

My 4.7L does the same thing, except mine won't actually die...it acts like it's going to die and then recovers by surging the RPM which will jerk the truck forward. If you aren't careful this can cause worse problems when pulling into tight parking spaces.

The cure for this problem? A higher idle RPM which can only be done by flashing the PCM. Not sure if the dealers can/will do this or not.

Old 04-15-2005, 06:24 PM
Jcarp
Amateur

My 04 QC Hemi died once on me when not up to operating temp in my driveway. My wife said she had it crank for a long period before starting one time and died another time driving down the road. I drive it 95% of the time and only had the one time dieing in the driveway. I have always used 87 octane except 2 time while towing 8000lbs but did not notice any better towing so I use 87 all the time now.

Old 04-20-2005, 04:29 PM
ssRAM

I tend to agree with everyone that thinks this problem is due to the PCM idling the engine at too low of an RPM. I have an '03 QC with the 4.7 (29,000 miles) Until a few weeks ago, my truck has idled pretty low RPMs (low 500 or high 400) but never stalled. While backing out of the driveway turning the wheel to the left, it just up and died. The truck had warmed up to close to operating temp (was approx. 70 deg outside). It too cranked for quite a bit before firing back up. Since then..no more problems. I have noticed the low idle seems to happen most often when it is above 65 degrees. I've had the truck into the service dept. 3 times for this condition. The first time, they flashed the PCM which didn't do anything. The next two times, I was told this condition is normal. I've tried running a few tests on my own since the dealer won't do anything about it. First step was to replace the Idle Air sensor near the throttle body. Unfortunately, no luck. Engine still idles real low and surges from time to time. Hasn't died again. I'll keep posting updates as I try additional measures. Next up - New plugs and Throttle Position Sensor.

Quick Reply: stalling?