3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

stalls in park

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 01:30 PM
84runner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stalls in park

I have a '03 2500 hemi quad cab 4x4 with 73k miles that has started stalling with trans in park. If i start it up and put it in to drive or reverse it is fine. No hesitation during normal driving. As soon as i put it in park or neutral it sputters and stalls. Running a/c makes no difference, no check engine light yet. Any thoughts appreciated....

Last edited by 84runner; 12-04-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:37 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Well if it stalls when running the A/C and it never did it before now, then it's probably not an idle problem, so I'd think maybe it's not getting enough air or fuel until you give it some gas.
When is the last time you cleaned the throttle body?

Old 12-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Ice-Forever
All Star

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Well if it stalls when running the A/C and it never did it before now, then it's probably not an idle problem, so I'd think maybe it's not getting enough air or fuel until you give it some gas.
When is the last time you cleaned the throttle body?
Running a/c makes no difference
Silly hammer.

Lol I just had to call up that company because I still havent gotten my level kit...She said it got lost and shes overnighting me another one but I still might get the 2nd one if they find it lol. Been like 2 weeks I was starting to get mad.

Srry off topic

Old 12-04-2009, 01:52 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

My point was that there is a known "low idle stall" issue, but running with the A/C on bumps the idle a couple hundred rpms. So if he is stalling with the A/C on, that is not his problem. There is a PMC tune that has a TSB on it for THAT issue...

Old 12-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Ice-Forever
All Star

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
My point was that there is a known "low idle stall" issue, but running with the A/C on bumps the idle a couple hundred rpms. So if he is stalling with the A/C on, that is not his problem. There is a PMC tune that has a TSB on it for THAT issue...
Lol I was just joking mannnn, you're my mentor and teacher. Sorry massa

Old 12-04-2009, 02:41 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

When was the last time you did a tuneup? How does the air filter look?

Old 12-04-2009, 03:14 PM
84runner

The only "tune up" I have ever done is to change fluids and air filter. Changed air filter about 2k ago. I've never done anything with wires or coils packs. This is the first issue I have ever had with the truck. What else would be considered a tune up?

I am leaning toward water possibly in my gas tank. The truck sits for a month or 2 while I am at work.... and I haven't always left the tank full. Would water do this or would it affect it all the time? I have been driving it about 2 weeks since I got home. The problem wasn't there yesterday and it's here today....

Old 12-04-2009, 04:08 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Ahhh we have more information, problem materialized over night.

Now I'm not saying a dirty TB is your problem, but once you solve the problem you really need to clean that TB. Your won't be as bad as the guys with EGR valves would be, but if you've never cleaned that thing, it must be a mess.

Oh and Ice, I was just clarifying a point, no worries...

Old 12-04-2009, 06:36 PM
Kamel87
Professional

had this same problem shifting from reverse/drive to park the truck would stall out. i took apart my throttle body cleaned it real good put it back on and truck ran perfect after that

Old 12-04-2009, 10:44 PM
Rofo2
Default Stalling

I had a similar issue this summer, it was kind of funny, it happened after I just washed it. Looks great when a beautiful shiny black sport qc is loaded away on a flatbed. Long story short it turned out to be a bad ground on the engine block. Mine started out by stalling out then one day she would start at all. The thing that gave tipped off the mechanic was the park reverse neutral and drive lights were all lit up at the same time. Might not be your problem but just another thing you could check off the list too.

Quick Reply: stalls in park