3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sidewinder installed...........finally

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 12:47 AM
OklaHemi
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice job man. nice to see you knocking your list down.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:54 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am glad to hear that you got it in there and running. Can't wait to see the results when you do the data logging.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:13 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

It was a lot of work the first time I broke the front of the engine down but second time went MUCH faster.

For those that want to change the springs on the head still on the block and use compressed air........like I said, I brought each cyl to TDC and then hooked the air up to hold the valve. However, when at TDC and filling the chamber with air it would push the piston down. I ended up having to place a breaker bar on the crank bolt with a piece of pipe and laying it on the frame so when it tried to push the piston down it couldnt go anywhere. In the pics you will see this and see it is on the drivers side frame. But dont let that fool you because sometimes it was on the pass side also. Sometimes the engine would turn either way and if you dont step on and hold that pipe with your weight to see which way it goes them it would hurt you.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Im really hoping the timing is where it should be and not a tooth off. I checked, double checked and triple check the cam at 12 and the crank at 2 because I wanted to make sure it is where it needed to be but IDK yet.
How is it running? I beleive a tooth off is something like 17 degrees, so if it was a tooth off you would know it.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:47 AM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Sweet man!!! Cant wait to hear it and hear the results. 03ramit1 is a really good resource to have, he's helped me a lot with some of the mods I have on my truck now.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:52 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
How is it running? I beleive a tooth off is something like 17 degrees, so if it was a tooth off you would know it.
It runs fine. I read that one tooth was 8 degrees????

Anyway, no DTCs so thats good. I had p0172 (A/F rich) but I cleared it and it hasnt come back so Im not worried about it. That could just be apart of the re-learning curve. I have had it over 3k yet so I cant really comment. But its not missing or stalling or falling on its face. It idles at about 650-ish in park. T-stat is where it should be also and I like that. I did reset the PCM before firing it up the first time.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:03 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

Your low rpm explains a lot regarding your first impression. At 2500 rpm, the sidewinder is only making a few ft lbs more torque than stock. It doesn't start pulling hard until 3k or so. At 3k rpm you should be at least 30 ft lbs more than stock and that's when it pulls hard.

You got a wind it up a bit to feel it bro!

Old 12-08-2009, 10:04 AM
RubberFrog
Champion

Check out this thread- https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...omparison.html A sidewinder is very comparable to a 260, with a little better ramp and lobe for idle.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:19 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

you know, I'm kinda surprised you didn't bust chit up when you turned it with the timing off that far.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

I'm anxious to see your results and a video would be awesome I love the lope sound of a cammed vehicle. I really like the idea of a cam but I have been told that I can't haul anything with my truck if I do put one in and would it effect my mud fun any?

Quick Reply: Sidewinder installed...........finally