3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Getrag 238 Six Speed

Old 04-15-2005, 03:08 PM
WhitePine
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getrag 238 Six Speed

Greetings everyone. First post and I need some opinions. [sm=feedback.gif]

I need a new truck. It has to be a full size 4x4 with a manual transmission, which eliminates everything but Dodge.

My dealer says I can still order a 1500 with a manual, but after doing a little research I have become uncomfortable with the Getrag 238's that Dodge is installing in the 1500s with the 4.7L V8. After liberal use of Google and the Dodge web site, I have come across these issues that trouble me:

1. Getrag's own web sites makes no mention of the 238. I can't find the tranny's specs at all. (I'm looking for power handling capabilites here, not ratios--which I already have.)

2. Getrag manual transmissions in general don't seem to be regarded as bullet proof, or anything close to that.

3. Getrag manuals that were installed in older diesel Rams are now having parts issues, to the extent that some owners are replacing them with other brands.

4. An otherwise identical Ram 1500 (SLT, 4.7L, 3.55 RE, LWB) has a significant difference between the towing capacities for the Getrag and the auto:

Getrag 4350 lbs
Auto 6300 lbs

These seem like low ratings for a full size American pickup with a V8. Even a 2.7L 4 cylinder Tacoma with manual transmission can tow 3500 lbs -- 6500 with V6 and towing package. The 4350 rating with the Getrag gives me the greatest concern. The almost 2000 lb difference between it and the auto looks suspiciously like the result of a weak transmission, or at least the Dodge engineers have that concern.

I expect a manual transmission equipped vehicle to be nearly bullet proof over the long haul, unless severly abused, which is something I don't do. Unfortunately, my web survey of Getrag products seems to indicate their stuff is anything but.

To sum up my concerns:

Weak transmission
Not a reliable brand
Expensive to repair
Hard brand to get parts for

Can anyone out there ease my concerns about the Getrag 238? Anyone have a Getrag 238 equipped 4.7L 1500 that you would care to comment on?

Thanks. I appreciate all input.

White Pine

Old 04-17-2005, 11:41 PM
stickshiftsrule
Default RE: Getrag 238 Six Speed

I can help you out here.

1st off, the reason that the tow rating is less has nothing to do with the transmission being weaker.
One of the tests done to determine a tow rating is a start-off from a dead stop on a hill.
Even with the getrag's lower 4.23:1 first gear it's losing a lot of it's power (tourque) to heat and slippage in the first few feet.
Meanwhile the tourque converter of the automatic is mutiplying it's power at the take-off point.
This is not to say that the getrag won't move the same load, but to protect themselves from angry owners (that probably abused thier clutch) complaining about early clutch failures the manufacturers simply rate the (1/2 ton) manuals for less.

Now, in the old days, 1/2 ton trucks could be had with a 4-speed that had a creeper, or granny low 1st gear.
With a ratio of 6.** or 5.** to 1 they would have an advantage over an auto with a 1st usually of about 3.00:1
Now I used to have an 89' F-150 with a 302 and a borg-warner T-18 4-speed (6.71:1 1st gear).
Now that truck would have out-pulled any (stock) automatic equipped 1/2 ton (or twisted it's axles off trying).
I always loved working that truck and never found a load that it's tranny couldn't handle. (this included a ton of oak in the bed)[sm=smiley2.gif]

Nowadays you need to buy a 3/4 or 1-ton to get a transmission with a granny 1st gear.

Personally I would not hesitate to tow any load with a manual that it's automatic counterpart it rated for.

AS for the getrag 238, I'm in the same boat as you. If all goes well mine will be here wednesday! And then I'll know for sure!
I've tested the getrag 370 6-speed in the jeeps and I think it's a good tranny. The 238 is supposed to be in the same family.

Also, dodge is not your only choice. GMC/chevy also offer a manual in thier 1/2 ton with a 4.8L V8.
Local dealer over here has one, I like it, BUT, I like the ram better!

Old 08-19-2009, 11:07 AM
solvang

Hi
I´m interested in getting a Getrag 238. Where can I get them in the US besides Chrysler or Getrag themselfs? Any distributors selling these? And what´s the price about?
Thanks, Robert

Old 08-19-2009, 09:34 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not go to a 3/4 Ton with the Hemi and a 6sp. The 56 is a a strong transmisson, the G 238 is not as strong, but still quite strong behind the 4.7.

The 4.7 6sp and 5.7 6sp are to close call a true winner in mpg.

Gm no longer has standard transmisons with a v/8 in a 1500, for a while you could get one with the 4.3 V/6, now GM no longer offers a man. trans in a 1500.

Ford gave up years ago on a manual in 1500, and for the fouth gen Ram, You can't get a manual ( tryed to build one at dodge.ca )

Old 05-26-2010, 03:23 AM
michigan_man
Default getrag 238 tranny

i have a g238 in my ram right now its a strong tranny it has pulled a lot of stuff sense i got it in dec 08. i love it ive put about 1500 lbs in the truck and had a trailer about 3400 lbs on it at the same time and it pulled better then most of the other trucks i saw on the road that day and i havent had a problem with it breaking i have to get a clutch because it fells like mine is starting to go but i dont really have a problem finding parts either ive found a lot of the parts i need at a local auto parts store.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:08 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

i see this is a old post, but to up date, no more manual transmisson on any gas engine in a ram pick up....

Old 05-26-2010, 10:14 PM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cyclone429
i see this is a old post, but to up date, no more manual transmisson on any gas engine in a ram pick up....
boooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! that sucks!

Old 05-26-2010, 10:30 PM
tlawre87
Veteran

i took delvivery of my 08 ram in october of 09. Brand new. They couldn't sell it because of it being a manual. I just got lucky

Old 05-28-2010, 05:52 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

I went with dodge because of the option to get a hemi and 6sp manual in 06, I wanted a 1500 Ram with the hemi, but that was not a option, stepped up to a 2500 ram to get the hemi and 6speed, now fast forward to pressent time, I was going to buy a new 2010 2500 quad cab 2500 with the hemi and was falabergasted that no more 6speed manual transmissons, to be blunt, I'm not a fan of dodge automatics and the 2010 quad cab i drove with the higher h/p hemi was a pos ( automatic )

If I want a 6speed manaul, I have to buy a CTD, extra 9grand for the CTD, At pressent time, you can't get a manual transmison in any new model gas powerd truck, so Dodge is not getting my money, my 06 2500 is the last new dodge product I will buy.

Automatics have their place in the market, but not in my truck !!!

Old 12-09-2010, 07:07 PM
joesram sam

Hi im joe and i have a 2006 ram 3.7 with dah getrag 238 6sp ive pulled a motorcycle trailer wit the bed full of firewood and had no problems with the tranny, its a really good tranny bt the motor is a peace of crap does anyone know if i swap it for a hemi 5.7 is it going fit my getrag 238...?????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getrag 238 Six Speed