3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 hemi with rough idling problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 08:49 PM
azerjeff
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 hemi with rough idling problem

hey guys i have a 2003 1500 4x4 with the 5.7 hemi. and its killing me! its running rough like it has a miss and the check engine light is on. the code it gives me says left bank rich. i have relplaced plugs, wires, iat sensor, fuel regulator, #3 fuel injector, #3 ignition coil and both oxygen sensors. originally it said #3 fuel injector curcuit open and now it just says left bank rich. anyone got any other ideas??? please help

Old 12-19-2009, 09:10 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Give me the DTC and i can see if I can pull something up in Alldata

Old 12-19-2009, 09:33 PM
azerjeff

uhhhh im not sure what that is. the code number? its PO172.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:46 PM
Hemi 4x4

check your compression on that cylinder, could be a broken valve spring. Replaced one of mine a couple weeks ago with the same problems you're stating.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:37 AM
05RamMan
Captain

Here is what all data says. There is diag chart, However I am not sure how to post a PDF on the site, Maybe weed can post the chart.

SYMPTOM
P0172-FUEL SYSTEM 1/1 RICH
WHEN MONITORED

With the engine running in closed loop mode, the ambient/battery temperature above
20 deg. F and altitude below 8500 ft.
SET CONDITION
If the PCM multiplies short term compensation by long term adaptive and a purge fuel multiplier and the result is below a certain value for

30 seconds
over two trips, a freeze frame is stored, the MIL illuminates and a trouble code is stored. Two Trip Fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.
POSSIBLE CAUSES
- Good trip equal to zero
- O2 sensor heater operation
- O2 sensor
- EVAP purge solenoid operation
- O2 signal circuit
- O2 return circuit
- MAP sensor
- ECT sensor
- Engine mechanical problem
- Fuel filter/pressure regulator (high)

- PCM

Last edited by 05RamMan; 12-20-2009 at 01:42 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:33 AM
abarmby
Champion

With all the work you have done azerjeff, I think that Hemi 4x4 could unfortunately for you, be correct.
A dropped valve, will make a very rough Idle on these Hemi's and is a common problem.
Unbutton the top rocker cover on the Left bank inspect the valves and ..........pray
HOpefully it's not a dropped valve?
Good luck and post up what you find.

Al.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:47 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Before I pull the the VCs (because they are a PITA) I would pull my plugs on that cylinder because if you dropped a valve then it is down in the cylinder and getting bounced around by the piston and slammed into the head and plugs.

Here is the info from AllData. This link is only good for 7 days

https://www.yousendit.com/download/M...UENwaFIzZUE9PQ

Old 12-20-2009, 02:26 PM
05RamMan
Captain

Man weed, you got a newer alldata than mine. I wish my work weren't so cheap and would spring for the newer discs, lol.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:38 PM
abarmby
Champion

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Before I pull the the VCs (because they are a PITA) I would pull my plugs on that cylinder because if you dropped a valve then it is down in the cylinder and getting bounced around by the piston and slammed into the head and plugs.

Here is the info from AllData. This link is only good for 7 days

https://www.yousendit.com/download/M...UENwaFIzZUE9PQ
Yep, good idea right there.
Also, if you can get your hands on one of those bore scopes, for a look see down the cylinder.
Also, just had a thought. Could it also be the infamous cracked top ring problem?
The distance between the first ring and the top of the piston is purposely small by design. Something to do with emissions????
They do crack off however, due to poor gas/detonation/wrong programer fuel mix etc.
A bore scope would let you see any damage to the cylinder wall etc.
Hope things arn't that bad and you find something simple that's causing you the problems azerjeff.
But it's a few more ideas to help you solve your issue.
Al.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Hemi 4x4

Originally Posted by abarmby
With all the work you have done azerjeff, I think that Hemi 4x4 could unfortunately for you, be correct.
A dropped valve, will make a very rough Idle on these Hemi's and is a common problem.
Unbutton the top rocker cover on the Left bank inspect the valves and ..........pray
HOpefully it's not a dropped valve?
Good luck and post up what you find.

Al.
If it was a dropped valve he would definitely know it, makes a hell of a noise. Its an easy fix, took me about half an hour to remove valve cover and spring, $4 for a new spring and another half hour to button it all together. Looked it up on the computer and there were 36 cases of the same thing happening with no engine damage, just replaced the spring. I would definitely not run it until you checked that first though.

Quick Reply: 03 hemi with rough idling problem