3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4th Generation Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 12:13 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th Generation Ram 1500

Now that my brother is an official owner of a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500, I've gotten a chance to get a full feel for it. There are a lot of things I like and some things I do not care for. Some of the things I like are the highly enhanced hemi motor, the amazing control, and the front end design. You can definitely feel the difference with the newly revised motor, the hemi engine has no problem getting up to speed, it practically carries itself with the lightest touch of the pedal. The control, is amazing. Driving 60 down back roads, it hugs the road like an AWD Subaru Forester. Even when it hits bumps it stays put unlike my truck, this can all be credited to the coil-link suspension and sway bars in the rear. Finally, the front end stance is to die for; that is one mean looking grille. It must be intimidating having that grille riding your *** from behind.

As for the things I don't like about the truck, the main thing I dislike is the lack of space. It appears they sized down the quad cab from the 3rd generation, perhaps they did this because they now offer a crew cab trim as well. With a person in the backseat, the front seat passengers have to slide their seats forward quite a bit to give the person in the rear dissent knee room. Another thing that I do not like is the size down in height from the 3rd generation Ram. After driving the 4th generation Ram, I feel like I'm getting into a lifted truck, I wish the 4th gen. Ram was a little taller, but this probably would have compromised its handling. Finally, I'm not much of a fan of the MDS (I know this isn't just exclusive to 4th gens.). I feel like the truck spends more time kicking in and out of mds where it can actually be useful. Very seldom will it stay locked in during city driving, they should have an option where one can engage/disengage it at their will. Overall, I think both the 3rd generation and 4th generation share an equal amount of advantages/disadvantages to make being partial to one a difficult task. Both offer great things while both also offer some things I think could use work. Either way, I love them dodges.

Old 12-21-2009, 02:59 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

see now you woulda been kicking youself in the *** had you pulled that trigger.....

Old 12-21-2009, 03:52 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I remember reading a Chrysler article...

Mirrors were revised for less wind resistance.(now they look like the F-150's boxy things...ugghh)
The front end was dropped like 1" or 1.5"?? To allow for better aerodynamics.
I'm pretty sure the new "crew cab" is the same as the old QC. Only because every other maker usues Crew and not quadcab...???

As for the inside specs....Near identical from 2002-2010. 2008 specs 2009 Specs
2009-2010 ...no change for specs. only immenity changes.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:26 PM
all of 75
Veteran

I sat in the backseat of a QC at the local autoshow and it did seem to have less space. It seemed like the front seats had gotten thicker. But still a great truck!

Old 12-21-2009, 06:45 PM
AsphaltCowboy
Veteran

yea, that MDS is a real PITA. thats the only thing i dont like about my truck. sure, i might get 20-22mpg on the highway, but around town, its pointless.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

The power of the new Hemi is what I like about the 4th gens. I would like to see some real world times for that truck, like 0-60 and 1/4 mile.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:16 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Originally Posted by all of 75
I sat in the backseat of a QC at the local autoshow and it did seem to have less space. It seemed like the front seats had gotten thicker. But still a great truck!
I think that is a big part of it, I noticed the seats are about double the thickness of mine.

Teacher, yes, that revised hemi motor is a work of art. I like it infinitely better than the I-Force from Toyota. The Tundra sounded like an overwound wind up doll, the hemi sounds like a good old american muscle truck, I love it!

Old 12-21-2009, 08:37 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when he putting a new muffler on and all that , whats his plans with it

any pics???

Old 12-21-2009, 08:42 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Are there a lot of performance mods out there specifically for the 4th gens?

Old 12-21-2009, 08:44 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

He has the basic plans brewing for now but who knows overall lol. He did buy the truck pretty stripped down so he could get out the door cheaper. It came with 17" steel wheels so he will have to replace those with some nicer wheels at some point but for now he bought some chrome dodge hubcaps to cover the disaster of a looking wheel lol. He plans to put the dual exhaust on it, probably the flowmaster super 44, tint all around, cold air intake, chrome nerf bars, bed liner, weathertech mats etc. He bought the truck before he sold his truck though so a lot of things are resting on how much he's going to get for it. Apparently a guy in mass has offered him $9,500 which would give my brother a big boost on payments. It was hilarious, last week the guy who bought the truck on ebay came to get it from Indiana and when he got here he said the truck was rusty and falling apart and needed atleast $2,500 to fix the panels and repaint the truck lmao! My brother kindly gave me him his $500 deposit back and said have a safe ride back to Indiana dumbass.

Quick Reply: 4th Generation Ram 1500