3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Depressing day

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 10:49 AM
nim81
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

think of it this way. the caliber is ugly!

no offense to caliber owners, just my 2 cents

Old 12-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Slap_my_momma
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just traded off my 03 Subaru forester (4-cyc / AWD) and any day of the month it gets 25mph no matter how I drive it.
I got the ram and it has the 4.7 and I really, really wanted the HEMI. I could not find one for my price.
It does seem like the gas mileage in little low, but not sure how you drive. I can tell you this and this is from my own experience.
A truck in general is a benefit if you are a home owner. I can't comment how many times I need to find a friend or rent a truck when I needed to get something hauled (trees, brushes, plants, appliances, bags of dirt or even haul my busted riding lawn mower).

I do see that you could benefit getting a smaller vehicle, but IMHO.... I say keep the truck (since you said you love it) and go buy an older model toyota or something.

I also own a 200K mile / 1999 Nissan Maxima (4th gen) and these motors are bullet-proof, great thing is; it is paid off and we'll keep it until it catches on fire or a tornado takes it away from us !
It get about 20 city and 27 highway and these cars boogie.
I say if you don't owe more then what you are getting (7k+2K = 9k) I say try to keep it and pay it off. It's very useful to own / plus it is even better sitting in one that is bad a$$ looking. Man pride!!

Either way, good luck on your decision.

Originally Posted by carrevan
I might end up selling my Ram today and buy a Caliber. Gas has gotten to be way too much. I've got the 5.9 in the 3rd gen, technically making it a 2nd gen on the inside. The average person gets 10mpg city and 14 highway... just not cutting it. Caliber gets 24 and 27, a huge leap. I absolutely love my truck, but I think it's time for a change. A few years down the road when the Ram Hybrid has improved I'll consider purchasing another Ram. This truck has been my dream truck since I was little, thanks gas prices!

The local dealership is offering one hell of a deal on the Caliber, and an excellent trade in for the truck (getting $7,000 plus $2,000 rebate for trade in.) I just might take the offer, but I might also look for excuses not sell this thing...

Last edited by Slap_my_momma; 12-27-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:17 AM
Slap_my_momma

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
If you do go over to the car, you will be back. You will miss driving a truck, almost everyone who does switch to a car comes back.

Very, very true!! I admit..... or confess............ I am one of them owner that went to the dark side and came back

Old 12-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Slap_my_momma
Old 12-28-2009, 07:26 PM
carrevan
Rookie

I don't mind the Caliber R/T at all. Sure, it's a little ugly. But it's nice, and prettier than a lot of fuel efficient cars on the market anyway. I'll be saving around $105 a month, and that's on my estimates only. It'll take me a little while to be in the profit margin. If gas goes back up, I'll be saving a lot more. I also get to build my credit with a new car. I told the dealership I'd be back for another Ram in a few years!

Last edited by carrevan; 12-28-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:11 PM
tlawre87
Veteran

I can't blame you either. My wife and I have two cars, a 98 Chevy Blazer and my 08 Reg cab. We have one kiddo right now and another one due in July. As of right now its up in the air on my truck, I may be trading off next summer for an extended cab. I have two issues though. 1) Money issues have caused things to hit my credit and 2) Im upside down in my truck, alot.
We'll just have to see.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:37 AM
DodgeThunder
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hear man.. shoulda kept the truck and bought a motorcycle. Thats what I did and it works out all right!

Old 03-26-2010, 04:21 AM
carrevan
Rookie

My correction, a Dodge Caliber R/T. I like the car a lot, but given a few months you boys are right. I want my truck back. Wish I could have both. Every time I see similar rams driving around I get depressed. The 5 year plan is to buy a brand new ram.. but I've still got a soft spot for the 3rd gens. This time I'll go with a Hemi instead of the 5.9.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:37 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by carrevan
My correction, a Dodge Caliber R/T. I like the car a lot, but given a few months you boys are right. I want my truck back. Wish I could have both. Every time I see similar rams driving around I get depressed. The 5 year plan is to buy a brand new ram.. but I've still got a soft spot for the 3rd gens. This time I'll go with a Hemi instead of the 5.9.
I know where you are coming from, man! I've had a pickup truck and all but one a 4x4 since before I got my drivers license way back in the early '80s with the exception of about a year and a half when I was about 19 when I went through my "sports car" phase. I couldn't imagine not having a truck...

Quick Reply: Depressing day