3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Main Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 11:51 AM
Matt99
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Main Leak

Okay, I have a rear main leak. The dealer says its a "weep" and its natural, but I'm finding this stuff on my garage floor. The dealer has already fixed it once, supposedly, but its already leaking again less than 2 months later. I have 1.5K left on my warranty....take it in or is it really natural?
Name:  1250783022.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  76.8 KB

Old 12-29-2009, 12:11 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

slightly wet covering....dealer will say natural.

drops on the floor overnight...I say BS and needs to be changed.

The dealer prob just wiped everything down and sent you on your way. it's a big job. if I'm not mistaken, the rear seal is one piece meaning crank has to come out.

At any rate...how much is it leaking?

Last edited by dirtydog; 12-29-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:19 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

Personally, it wouldnt matter to me how much the dealer said is natural. If it's covered under warranty they would see me down there yesterday fixing it. If the shop manager won't help you, find the GM of the dealership.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:51 PM
tlawre87
Veteran

If it was out of warranty I'd say let it go. However it is under warranty so I'd take it in.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:55 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

could just actually be a pan leak?

Since you had it looked at once within warranty. Even if it completely blew a seal soon after your warranty expired they would ultimately still have to fix it.

It just matters how hard you want to pursue it. The dealer will push away as much warranty work as possible, but in the end, they have to perform the work. if they refuse, just call up the BBB as well as Chrysler themselves.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:35 PM
Matt99
Champion

Well its pink-reddish, letting me know that it was the seal not oil pan. and its not leaking a whole lot, but there will be a quarter size on the ground after a nights rest when I have been driving a lot the previous day

I guess Ill be taking it in, and let them know that it was the 2nd time. The dealer has given me hell since I bought the truck, and they're my only option. This will be the 17th trip to the dealer in less than 2 years. I have had a lot of trouble with my truck obviously, and I'm sure I could pursue the lemon law way if I wanted to.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:43 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

You engine should be sealed and never any leaks of any kinds. Thats why they make seals and gaskets. If you dont like the service you are getting from them then call corporate office if the shop manager doesnt want to fix it the right way instead of calling it natural. Mine doesnt do it and Im sure DirtyDogs doesnt do it either. So its not natural.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:07 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

no leaks here. if there was...I'd be going in. Now, my Exploder has a few "natural" leaks that will never be repaired...lol

i would go back in and tell them that your truck is dripping oil in your brand new driveway and is going to ruin it if this doesn't get fixed. if they insist on saying the leaking is "normal" then have the idiot service mangaer bring you around the lot to show you all the other cars on their lot that are leaking since it's "natural". The only thing we have here that is natural is the Service writer lying to the customer...lmao

Old 12-29-2009, 03:12 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
The only thing we have here that is natural is the Service writer lying to the customer...lmao
Sad but true

Old 12-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Matt99
Champion

yea I like that idea. If he cant show me one in the parking lot that is naturally leaking from the factory then he should fix it. Hes an ahole, the one time i wish i was a lawyer

Quick Reply: Rear Main Leak