3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Quick ideas for truck maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 04:03 PM
jfrerichs89
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick ideas for truck maintenance

I got a guy whos mechanically inclined coming over tommorrow to help me change out the spark plugs. Also im about to run to autozone to pick up the parts n whatnot. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of any other things to change out while im under the hood.

PCV valve is something i'm kinda debating on changing out, not exactly sure what condition it is since ive never check it out before but the trucks got 79,000 on the hemi engine and ive only had it for 6,000 of those miles, is this a good idea just to straight up replace?

Old 01-04-2010, 04:34 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well since you just bought the truck i would change the diff and tranny fluid... unless you know FOR SURE it has been already done

as for plugs... just get the cheap champ coppers... hemis love 'em. and you need 16 (2 per cylinder)

Old 01-04-2010, 04:45 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

everything go thru it with a fine toothed comb change all fluids, plugs(16) and filters....clean your throttle body too...

Old 01-04-2010, 05:04 PM
jfrerichs89
Rookie

Yea, im kinda upset the hemi's have 16 but o well..... And yea, I'm assuming the guy before did nothing since i didnt know him nor did i ask, but I haven't had the time to address much other than changing the oil, air filter, and egr valve... Plus the guy thats commin over doesn't have too much free time either so i gotta just make sure i get as much done with him tomorrow as i can...

Thanks for the input guys

Old 01-04-2010, 05:21 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

a tune up including all thats listed should only take a cpl hrs....

Old 01-04-2010, 05:35 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

The plugs are a bitch.... If you do not have one I strongly suggest picking up a 5/8" swivel sparl plug socket, or at least the plug socket and a universal socket. Start with the back six on the drivers side and work your way around. (also if you dont have them already, pick up a 1" extention, a 2" or 3" extention, and a 24" extention, makes life easier and saves you knees). Also take off the line that goes from the intake to the EGR, makes getting the passenger side plugs off easier too.

For other Items, pop open the rear diff and make sure its still in one piece, The trans should have been done at 60k so that should be on the list too. Probably wouldn't hurt to do the EGR Valve as well. If you start doing the oil changes while your friend starts the plugs you should finish about the sametime if he's any good at doing them.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:22 PM
oneHEMI57
Professional

If the truck's systems are running to par, that is you base performance level.

Make one fix at a time and check the performance to continue that good base. If all is going good the fixes tcould be done over the next 500 miles to completion. Invite your good help over a few times to work w/you then have the cold beverages.

I would work the plugs first and run it for at least a week to see all is well. Barrow a torque wrench form AutoZone for the plugs. Watch your help to make sure nothing is broken, things go back to orig place and you'll learn something too. Take real close digital pics for your reference.

Work the induction system next. TB cleaning, replace any sensors as needed, one at a time then test run before moving to the next sensor. By the step and test method it will isolate any gremlins that may pop up to your last step.

Then in a couple of weeks move to the tranny if need be, take your time and check the work. If you will read some of the archives in these forums, just changing the tranny fluids have lead to a miserable life for some for something you would thick to be so simple.

Flush the rad if fluid is older than three years or so many miles.

Pwr Steering fluid chg. Start adding 44k fuel additive by BG as label says.

Those plugs may be a slight stiff if they are the originals and 1st time being removed out of those alum treads. Careful.

Last edited by oneHEMI57; 01-04-2010 at 11:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Quick ideas for truck maintenance