3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

02 Ram 1500 Tranny Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:20 AM
SammMoney
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Ram 1500 Tranny Problem

Hello everyone,

I am hoping someone here can help me out. I was driving my truck home for lunch yesterday and realized hey this isn't right. I was taking off in second gear instead of first (automatic 5.9L for any of you wondering) so I get home, park the truck pull the shifter down, to first position but the truck stays in 2nd. Put it back in park and do the same thing, goes in to first no problem. Coast down the driveway pull out into the road and take off up the hill, shift into second, shift it to drive.

Go back to the bottom of the driveway, put it back in drive, it starts out in first but QUICKLY shifts to 2nd.

I don't want to say the transmission is shot because I can shift to 1st myself. So does anyone have any ideas what could be causeing me this problem?

Old 01-05-2010, 12:08 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How many miles and it has the trans ever been flushed/service/fluid changed?

Old 01-05-2010, 12:23 PM
SammMoney

I have around 61000 miles on it, and probably 2 years ago when I had the same problem, I changed the trans-fluid.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:39 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

Sounds like you may need to get the tranny looked at. Possibly the transmission control module acting up or even a line pressure sensor if your fluid change doesn't work. Chrysler puts almost a fail safe on their transmissions to where if something starts going wrong it goes into "limp" mode. Hense the 2nd gear issue. Limp mode puts your truck/car into 2nd gear so you can limp your way to a dealership or transmission shop before you do any more damage to it. Just a thought.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:13 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

You say this happened 2 years ago and the transmission filter/fluid change fixed it? you did change the filters right?

I would suggest a filtr change and a complete flush for all new fluid and see if the problem persists. Then you bring it in and pay crazy money to get it fixed. If it turns out to be a solonoid or something fairly simple, you already have new filters and fluid to re-use. Start simple and work your way into it.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:25 PM
SammMoney

Thanks, I did change the filter when I did the fluid, ran like a champ for the passed 2 years, had some engine issues at the end of last summer with one of my fuel injectors but that problem was fixed. Its at the shop right now, the mechanic is a good friend of the family's so we'll see what he has to say about it. I told him yesterday to flush and change the tranny fluid.

I have heard of the "limp" mode which was nice, to be able to still drive it to the shop myself and not have to worry about a tow.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:46 PM
SammMoney

UPDATE: I just called the shop the mechanic is out currently but from what I have been told so far is the Transmission fluid was burnt.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:59 PM
02Steve1990
Record Breaker

Please keep us updated after you bring it in too

Old 01-05-2010, 02:35 PM
SammMoney

Alright just spoke with the mechanic, he said the tranny fluid was burnt, he ran codes, but got nothing, he said you can shift into first manually, but once you go back up to (D)rive it only lets you into second here. We both agreed to try a fluid/filter change, but he said he is going to get in contact with his transmission guy first, to see if he has any suggestions of his own.

Last edited by SammMoney; 01-05-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:04 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SammMoney
Alright just spoke with the mechanic, he said the tranny fluid was burnt, he ran codes, but got nothing, he said you can shift into first manually, but once you go back up to (D)rive it only lets you into second here. We both agreed to try a fluid/filter change, but he said he is going to get in contact with his transmission guy first, to see if he has any suggestions of his own.

Very wise. Especially if he's going to be dropping the pan already.

Quick Reply: 02 Ram 1500 Tranny Problem