3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

need remotes... best options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:27 PM
zuulmusic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need remotes... best options?

I bought the truck with one key and no remotes or anything else, so I'd like to at least get the lock/unlock thing. Should I get one on ebay? Are they any good? Any reputable brands? Any alternative to dealer reprogramming?

Also thinking about a remote start. Could I knock these both out together? Astrostart?

Thanks!

2006 ram 2500, 5.9 cummins, 6 speed manual

Old 01-06-2010, 11:37 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

Pick one up off eBay, then take it to a local locksmith, alot of them can program it for you.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:38 PM
Thatonekidw/theHEMI
Veteran

Remote starts require a bypass on our trucks, and generally two keys.
There is a chip in the key that the ignition senses when its placed in the ignition.
If using a remote start a extra key can be wired up near the ignition to fool the ECU into thinking the key is really there.
Keys are very expensive and the program is touchy. Each truck only has 5 program slots for keys, and only the dealership can program them.
How do i know this? a. I work at best buy. b. I just out a viper 5901 in my truck. =)
I can tell you if i didnt get my discount for working there, theres no way i woulda payed for it. Its very expensive for them to bypass that stuff, esp without the extra keys, and very expensive to get extra keys at the dealer...

Old 01-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

I was once told a long time ago that you could just measure the resistance in the key and buy a resistor at Radio Shack to wire in. Is that true??

Old 01-07-2010, 01:34 AM
Thatonekidw/theHEMI
Veteran

possible, but i for one dont want anything from radioshack anywhere near my truck, let alone my ignition!

Quick Reply: need remotes... best options?