3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi engine stalls at stops

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:30 PM
Pirate11
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi engine stalls at stops

Hello;
I have a 2005 Dodge ram 1500 with a 5.7L Hemi. It will crank without any hesitation and accelerate/decelerate with any problem. I come to a stop and the RPM's will decrease from the normal 700 and stall out. It does not happen all of the time and engine temperature does not matter. I was told that it is the Idle Air Control Valve, but no one that I have talked to knows where it is located at on the engine. I have even had a Dodge Mechanic state that there is not one on that engine; but I have had parts dealers tell me that they have sold that particuliar part to people. If anyone knows where it is locate, if I do indeed actually have it on my engine, then I would greatly appreciate it if you could inform me.
Thanks

Old 01-06-2010, 11:05 PM
xervo

Yeah, I had this same problem happen on my 02 4.7 and it turned out to be a bad battery. The truck cranked over fine but would stall sometimes when I came to a stop or came to a stop and shifted to reverse. Replaced the battery and it didn't stall for a while then started doing it again after a couple months. Replaced the alternator because it was only charging at like 12.5v at idle. Now its been fine for like 3 months. As far as the idle valve on that truck I don't know. Usually if it has throttle by wire (no cable) it won't have a IAC valve but thats not always true. I'm sure somebody will chime in about that.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:40 AM
chevysucks

Had this exact same problem with my 05. right after i took it in for a tranny service. Took it into the dealer and come to find out the place that did my tranny service didnt fill my tranny fluid correctly they were 4 quarts low

Cost me 100 bucks for the tranny service and another 90 at the dealership to tell me they screwed it up!!! Went back to the service place and told them what happened, showed them the bill from the dealership. They bad the dealership the 90 and refunded my 100 bucks for the inconvience they caused

so maybe check and see if your tranny is a little low???

Old 01-07-2010, 02:01 AM
Kamel87
Professional

90% of the time it is the idle air control. a new one will cost you like 60 bucks but if u want the cheap way take ur throttle body off and clean it and the iac which is on the tb the will work for about a few months but sooner or later u gotta change it

Quick Reply: Hemi engine stalls at stops