3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Same truck, Same exhaust, Similar CAI...Why is his louder?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 09:05 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Now I am not really a big fan of a "true dual" setup, especially in a heavy truck. IMO you need someplace to balance the exhaust, this could be at a "Y", "X" or "H" setup. Yes, the stock "Y" is restrictive as hell and so is the Hemi Hat.

I redid the entire exhaust with long tube headers, cut out the cats and felt I lost some low end torque. Might just be my miscalibrated butt dyno, but I felt STRONG mid and high rpm gains, but felt I lost a little down low. Put the cats back on and felt that the low end was at least as good as stock.

The stock cats are not classified as "high flow", but the concept of the Hemi heads is all about breathing and I'm told the stock cats are among the best flowing stockers on the market today. Lot of technology available for such, these are not your father's 1970s era cats...
Why do I feel like I have heard this some where before?

Old 01-09-2010, 10:14 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Because people either don't want to use the search function or they just think I need typing practice...

Old 01-10-2010, 09:59 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

I know for some of us it may seem repetative, but he did apologize. Bear, am I going to have to put a collar on you? LOL

Hammer, you dont need practice, your up to almost 11,000 posts for God's sake. You know some nerbs feel that they need specific answers fo their specific questions. LOL, hell, I asked a question a few night ago gear installtion costs.

Wow, why am I defending this guy...

Old 01-11-2010, 07:24 PM
mxculture

Like I said guys...Im sorry. I work out of town..Im currently 3000km from home and bassicly in Nunavut..traveling from one jobsite to another...I have very limited internet acess...and after working 12+ hr days as a ironworker, rebar...I didnt think of/didnt feel like searching. I will do it next time. And thanks for defending me dude...I havent done the forum thing too often.

Alright...so for my restrictive Y pipe in the exhaust...Getting a more highflow performance pipe can fix this problem?
Now I know when you say "y" and "x" its little peices you can buy from magnaflow and such...Running a true dual exhaust with shorty headers, and a "x" pipe instalation...would this balance the low end torque problem when getting a true dual?

I have heard that with a naturally asperated truck, true dual can be hurtfull for power because of the back pressure. Im still undecided on the longtube or shorty hearders...which ever makes it faster but loud at the same time...Weedahoe said earlier that the shortyz are definantly louder...but do they offer more power than longtube? I really want to fix the low noise problem...Im sure shortyz will do it.

I will keep trying to look for more-high flow Y pipe...and purchase true high flow cats...Hopefully the sound will be alot louder and crisp. But then like some of you said...still alot of metarial abosrbing the sound. I could add a "x" setup after my muffler...would this balance anything or do **** all? Hopefully a High-flow Y pipe does something..but I have had trouble finding one...they keep giving me the little "y" setup hammerz71 was talking about.
If I did find one...a highflow big Y pipe for the 07 dodge...would it make a difference? Or would it be louder/more power if I baught a hemi sport aftermarket manifold that goes all into one w/ a high flow cat, iinto my muffler than dual out the back? Im sorry if this is repative but im trying to seek out my options to gain the most power and the most sound. Maybe dual headers/2 cats are better or the headers all going into one/1 cat could be better...hopefully you guys know so i can figure out what to do.

Any anwsers will be very much appreciated guys.

Hopefully aFe releases their extension to get rid of the resonator (hemi hat). They were supposed to in mid September 09. I have called their California office every month...and they keep telling me in a few weeks. Although I havent called latlely.

I thank everyone for their answers. I have to go to a coffee shop to check my internet so whoever answers...thank you, and ill check it tomorow. I really do appreciate all the answers and all the help. Thanks guys, have a good night..or a good morning whenever the hell youre reading this lol.

Quick Reply: Same truck, Same exhaust, Similar CAI...Why is his louder?