3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tires for my Ram

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 11:21 AM
frannyz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tires for my Ram

I own an 06 Mega Cab, 2WD, diesel. TERRIBLE in the snow, ice, rain, you mention it. I get stuck on a flat road in 2" of snow. So, looking at these 2 tires, Goodyear Silent Armour and General Grabbers. Was going for the Silent Armour with everything I read, even though its $$$$, but then on this forum I read about the General Grabber? Are they just as good?

Old 01-11-2010, 11:38 AM
dave-o
Veteran

depends on your budget, not to many people like goodyear, how much do you want to spend

Old 01-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Matt99
Champion

you cant beat BF Goodrich all-terrain k/a

Old 01-11-2010, 11:55 AM
frannyz

of course did not want to spend too much, but, sometimes you have to sacrifice. I do not like getting stuck and, driving to Ohio next month. The tire guy told me he did not recommend the Grabbers for a 2WD, but did mention that he had Goodyear ATS for more than 1/2 the price of the Silent Armours, and told me they were comparable? Still have to take a drive and look at them. Need more research...and opinions.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:14 PM
SMKNRAM
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are a bunch of people running the grabbers around here in the mountains, and they swear by them!! say they are the beat AT tire for snow, and they are studdable. I run the good year wrangler silent armor on my work truck, and the are ok but not getting very good mileage, and they are not as aggressive as the grabbers! My next set on work truck will be grabbers! The ATS will SUCK in the snow!!!

Old 01-11-2010, 12:43 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Your first problem is the weight of the CTD in the front of the truck. That is one heavy engine! So your first order of business is to add weight over the rear axle, since you don't have a front one where all the weight is. Real easy for you to end up sideways with a 2WD CTD.

I ain't talking a little either, I'd say about 200-250 lbs. inside each tire well, or about 400-500 lbs across, right over the rear axle.

Secondly, you have to decide what the majority of your driving will be in. A tire that is good in deep snow (a M/T tire) will suck on wet pavement, ice and shallow, hard packed snow. Likewise, a tire good in those conditions is not gonna do well in the deep stuff.

I would imagine with a 4x2, you'll be encountering the later more than the former. So you want a heavily siped tire with more contact patch than an M/T or aggressive A/T tire. For control in slippery conditions, the more contact you can make with the pavement, the more control.

I know a few guys who are over the road drivers with diesel pickups, most run 4x4 dually's though. The overwhelming tire of choice for them is this one, made specifically for diesels:

http://www.nittotire.com/#index.tire...ler.technology

Old 01-11-2010, 12:48 PM
frannyz

Originally Posted by SMKNRAM
there are a bunch of people running the grabbers around here in the mountains, and they swear by them!! say they are the beat AT tire for snow, and they are studdable. I run the good year wrangler silent armor on my work truck, and the are ok but not getting very good mileage, and they are not as aggressive as the grabbers! My next set on work truck will be grabbers! The ATS will SUCK in the snow!!!
Funny how the tire guy did not want to recommend the Grabbers for 2WD. And when I compared the ATS with the Silent Armour I did notice there was no comparison when it came to the snow (comparison thru Tirerack) Wonder why this guy said the Silent Armour starts where ATS finishes. The guy I spoke to on Sat. never even mentioned the ATS. Probably a reason. Oh, and currently have 2 large ship anvils, approx. 200 pounds each, in the back of my truck, still slid down my driveway in 1" of snow!

Last edited by frannyz; 01-11-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:01 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Wow, I bet them anvils look cool as hell!

However, if you use bags of sand, you can bust 'em open and use them for traction if you get stuck.

I may live in south Ga and central Fl now, but I grew up on a farm in upstate NY. I know about driving on ice and in the snow.

Also keep in mind, the "tire guy" is in business to make money. I don't think he'd steer you completely the wrong way, but he's gonna be influenced by what he's got in stock and what he's got a good profit margin on...

Old 01-11-2010, 01:11 PM
frannyz

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Wow, I bet them anvils look cool as hell!

However, if you use bags of sand, you can bust 'em open and use them for traction if you get stuck.

I may live in south Ga and central Fl now, but I grew up on a farm in upstate NY. I know about driving on ice and in the snow.

Also keep in mind, the "tire guy" is in business to make money. I don't think he'd steer you completely the wrong way, but he's gonna be influenced by what he's got in stock and what he's got a good profit margin on...
Believe me I thought about the "sales techniques" but if you see my signatures, I got plenty of cars, (and plenty before that) and bought plenty of tires from this same company! They actually did not want to sell me the Silent Armours cause they thought it would be too expensive for me.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:03 PM
NJFF5860
Professional

Myself, just bought the Goodyear Duratrac's which are a cross between an AT & an MT! Expensive but I commute 120miles round trip to work and wanted something with good ratings, Agressive and looked good on the truck. Only on a 1-1/2 weeks but have already proved to be a great tire in the snow..No issues at all. As for wear, that will be determined later but have the goodyear wranglers on the wifeys durango with 20,000 miles on them and hardly no wear! Alot of the guy's on here don't care for the goodyears but they have always worked out well for me. Have also ran toyo's in the past with good outcomes!

Quick Reply: tires for my Ram