3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need some CAI education

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 12:59 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the 2 you speak of are almost like pseudo-Ram-Air systems? Are there any dyno sheets to back these things up?

As far as the turd pipe, I'm sure it was only an example and, if not, don't worry, I'd never do that. LOL

Old 01-12-2010, 07:01 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

You are still flowing the same amount of air thru the TB. You may gain 8hp at 5500rpm over a stock paper filter. The truck will be faster because your wallet is over $350 lighter
Unless you add a larger cam and open up the heads, you will not flow enough air to warrant anything more than a drop-in K&N filter. Spend the money on a Programmer like the Predator or SC.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Unperfected
Professional

everyone here seams to say that a cai is useless without any other mods.... I beg to differ, i just bought a volant cai last week and it woke the truck up. its got alot better throttle response and sounds alot meaner. i love it and it DOES make a differents. As far as fuel milage i dont no as of yet, i will no this weekend. ill let everyone no. Also it does help that my wallet only got drained by 100$

Old 01-12-2010, 07:59 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Unperfected
everyone here seams to say that a cai is useless without any other mods.... I beg to differ, i just bought a volant cai last week and it woke the truck up. its got alot better throttle response and sounds alot meaner. i love it and it DOES make a differents. As far as fuel milage i dont no as of yet, i will no this weekend. ill let everyone no. Also it does help that my wallet only got drained by 100$

You are experiencing a Placebo Effect. Your perception and expectation is governing what you believe to be feeling. This is not a "dig", we all experience it. I've done MPG mods and gotten into arguments when I've done the math and found 4-5 mpg gains. Then later realized I was subconsciously driving like an old lady to get those gains.

Volant is one of the better built CAI's on the market, however their boasts of 18 HP gains on a Hemi are a bit exaggerated, like every other CAI maker.

Actual dyno tests show about an 8 HP gain at the rear wheels, AND THAT IS AT 5300 RPM! Your butt dyno would have to be really calibrated well to feel the difference, especially down around 2000-3000 rpm.

CAI's by themselves are not a bad thing. They do increase fuel economy and performance, just not significantly. They also can tend to "wake up" the exhaust note a bit, but again, really do it well with an aftermarket muffler and the stock resonator removed...

Old 01-12-2010, 08:47 PM
hemiraptor700

Ummmm I have the vararam and its the heat, no lie, say all u all want but the difference was noticable with it, and then the cutout even helped more, and then bam, the predator haha. Try that combo it works great

Old 01-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Unperfected
Professional

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
You are experiencing a Placebo Effect. Your perception and expectation is governing what you believe to be feeling. This is not a "dig", we all experience it. I've done MPG mods and gotten into arguments when I've done the math and found 4-5 mpg gains. Then later realized I was subconsciously driving like an old lady to get those gains.

Volant is one of the better built CAI's on the market, however their boasts of 18 HP gains on a Hemi are a bit exaggerated, like every other CAI maker.

Actual dyno tests show about an 8 HP gain at the rear wheels, AND THAT IS AT 5300 RPM! Your butt dyno would have to be really calibrated well to feel the difference, especially down around 2000-3000 rpm.

CAI's by themselves are not a bad thing. They do increase fuel economy and performance, just not significantly. They also can tend to "wake up" the exhaust note a bit, but again, really do it well with an aftermarket muffler and the stock resonator removed...
i def can feel the throttle respons no doubt about it.....
i doubt it gave me enough hp that i would notice it but yah forsure the truck feels like it has been woken up a bit. Now also i do have the rear resenator removed sorry it was only like 40$ canadian to get removed and a new pipe installed so i had to....lol. I got if for 100$ so if it was **** i would not complain. But the guy said he got about 60 extra kilometers per tank with it now im not saying i is going to but hey if i can get an extra 20-30 a tank in a few months it pays for itself and then put money in my pocket so im not complaining...

Old 01-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by lxman1
You are still flowing the same amount of air thru the TB.
Not true. Measure your airflow with a normal cai then measure it with a BFI, you'll see a difference. The change in tubing size actually forces the air into the engine. That was learned in physics class...

Old 01-12-2010, 11:42 PM
05RamMan
Captain

Originally Posted by Got_Hemi44
Not true. Measure your airflow with a normal cai then measure it with a BFI, you'll see a difference. The change in tubing size actually forces the air into the engine. That was learned in physics class...
Sure does when your Pushing the air, Not necessarily true when your Pulling the air. By all means prove me wrong.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:57 AM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honestly my family was in the same boat as you, we have a 25ft toy hauler around 7000+ pounds pulling it with my hemi with 100k on it. but in reality its always going to be a 1500 gas engine and will never be like a WOW difference when towing. My dad finally bit the bullit and bought a 2002 ford f-350 7.3 diesel. Now if you want a "Holy crap, I can't believe this" feeling then you HAVE to buy diesel for towing. otherwise just eave stock and run it how it is. thats just my opinion since i have been through it.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:02 AM
mdram43
Record Breaker

tubes are designed to be as smooth as possible and have as minimal of bend to them as required to maximize air flow. different materials provide insulation from heat. different filters on the end make all the difference, some flow better than others. honestly, i would never pay retail for an intake, but if you can find a deal on ebay or craigslist, id scoop one up.

ive got an intake, exhaust, and tuner on my 4.7 and well.. lets just say it makes alot of noise, but no better mpg, and maybe a little more pep to it

Quick Reply: Need some CAI education