3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Any idea whats causing this???

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 10:55 AM
hoss67
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well since everyone is sayin alignment, its pointless for me to say it, but u said u install new tires? what kind of tires? if its a mud tire, my old KM2's i had shook my truck at high speeds and sometimes low speeds as well and kinda made it walk on the road a lil bit, but thats due to a bigger tirer and the tread of the tire.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Nodak7mm

NJFF5860,

Whats the diagnosis? I am experiencing a similar issue. (2003 Durango SXT w/74k) New tires and several weeks later I get a felt vibe (not in steering wheel) that starts at about 35 mph up to 50mph, but it comes and goes. Here for a week then gone for 2, then back.

When I first felt it. I brought it back for a rebalance and the shop said notthing found outta balance. Still there. I have new u-joints to change out but am not convinced as it just does not feel like them (no noticable clunk when shifting from fwd to reverse and outta park, etc.)

Confused as heck since it just comes and goes and also varies with intensity from slight to noticable.

So any clues, comments would be greatly appreciated.

Nodak

Old 01-21-2010, 03:54 PM
NJFF5860
Professional

Heres a few things I checked and had done that fixed the issue: Check that your lug nuts are all tight, check air pressure in the tires (found mine to be a little high), Have the tires road force balanced (diffrent then regular balance), have the trucks alignment checked. I had a leveling kit 2.5" installed and they also do an alignment as part of the install and road force balanced my tires! The truck drives better then it did off the showroom floor brand new! I'm going to say that an alignment first is the way to go! The road force balance would be second to have done if after the 1st it's still an issue! I had no idea what to do either but followed the suggestions from the guy's here and sure enough it was taken care of! What kind of tires are ya running?

Old 01-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Nodak7mm

NJFF5860,

Thanks for the response, I did not intend to hijack your thread, but after a ton of searching past posts, yours was the closest to my issue.

Anyways, running General Grabbers AT's. Running same size as factory issued wranglers. I have heard these tires tend to be a bit softer than a wrangler, but a tish more aggressive and I am in snow conditions 7 months of the yr. So far I love em, but this intermittent vibe is driving me nuts.

Nodak

Old 01-21-2010, 07:34 PM
Bigtrucker

The vibration is from being out of balance like tire balance, bad tire, bad part, or something like that. Vibration in the seat means it is from the rear of the truck. Vibration in the steering wheel is from the front. Alignment is to keep the wheels straight.

Quick Reply: Any idea whats causing this???