3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Not so tech, or Ram related, but need some direction...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 03:45 PM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not so tech, or Ram related, but need some direction...

Alrighty fellas. This may get moved, but our local "OT" section isn't very active it looks like, so I'll throw this in here, maybe get a couple answers before it's shoved off to another section....

Quick background info..

Almost a year ago to date, the wife was involved in an accident in the 'Rango. Almost $10k in damages, shoulda been totalled, wasn't. So, now with the lawsuit (the wreck wasn't her fault), we're trying to get some diminishing value out of the deal, since I'm sure the truck is now worth a fraction of what it woulda been not wrecked. How would I go about finding out the value of the truck as-is? It has been repaired, not the best workmanship Ive seen, not as good as it was, but repaired non-the-less.

Our lawyer is putting in $3k for diminishing value, but I feel it should be a little more than that. But I want something to present to him to prove my point (if I even have a valid one). Is there some sorta website similar to KBB that I could find the potential value of the truck as it is? Then I can compare it to an actual KBB estimate, and see how screwed I am.

Im not necessarily asking for legal advice, but any info/tips/help is appreciated. I mainly need to find a way, if any, to find out what I can get out of the truck. Thanks for reading and any advice given, and a premature thanks to Hammer for possbily letting this thread ride for a few, see if I can get some/any info before its whisked away.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:54 PM
cwboyjohnny24
Record Breaker

I know my buddy was selling his car down here and got a quote from carmax. They'll give you a written offer for your vehicle with no obligation to sell it. They noticed the previous damage on the car from Carfax and also the visible work and quoted him much less than he thought it was worth. Maybe if you have a carmax up there you could take it to them and get a quote, or maybe the stealership will do you up a trade in quote.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:58 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

It all depends on the severity of the accident, the value of the vehicle and the condition it's in afterwards, so it's very hard to go by "book" standards.
If the title is not labeled salvaged or rebuilt then your asking alot. I know it sucks and I would be upset myself, but I would say overall figure in a 10-15% reduction in the value for a significant accident.
If the job was so-so done, then that is on you for not complaining enough to get it done correctly. But even so, with a "bad" or "mediocre" body shop repair, figure another 5% in reduction.
Honestly, if you get the $3k and you have a clean title, you should be happy with that. SHould is the key word...lol

Old 02-01-2010, 04:14 PM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star

Oh yeah, I agree with ya DD, its def on me for not throwing my usual fits. That started when I picked the bastard up, they made me pay $300 for 2 tires (I guess the tire diferential thing)! Didn't ask what kind I wanted or anything, just threw on the Destinations that were on there. Plus, it was $82 difference from the total repair costs and the value of the truck, I shoulda just smashed a window and called it totaled. But, I was new to this, naive, and believed them (the bodyshop) when they blamed the process on the insurance company. Guess thats why they say hindsight is 20/20.

As far as I know, the title hasn't been changed, as far as 'rebuilt' or 'salvaged' status. But of course the Carfax will show everything. (for the record, I would never screw somebody upon selling this, all info would/will be up front)

Thanks for not sugar-coating it, it is what it is. The damages were significant, the whole driver-side was re-skinned, new rear-end housing, two new rims, etc. Not to mention what the Ol' lady went through physically/emotionally (boy I thought she was a PITA to have as a passenger before...) Accidents are never fun to deal with, especially when they're someone elses fault. When I put my 'stang in a tree, it was solely on me, no one to point fingers at or anything. Beings how this lady tried to beat a yellowlight, makes it a tough pill to swallow

/end rant... lol

Old 02-01-2010, 04:25 PM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star

Just KBB'd it real quick. The value it woulda been at ranges from $14,700-$13,200 excellent-fair. I just don't see there being any way that I could still get $10-11k for something that will show having so many repairs done.....

Yep, this does suck...... I guess we'll just take the $3k and run, if we get it. The first offer our lawyer put in was today, for $75k. We're expecting a counter of $30k-his 3.33% and the $2k+ we have to pay the insurance company back, thats less than $20k for what she had to go through. BTW, doesnt it suck monkey-***** that we have to pay back what our insurance company put out for medical bills? Thats something new apparently, and its to come out of the settlement....? Ironically, the wife works for Nationwide, so she's part of the insurance thievery

Quick Reply: Not so tech, or Ram related, but need some direction...