3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Powertrax drivability concerns.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 02:30 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powertrax drivability concerns.

I'm looking into getting a LSD for the rear and was looking at the Powertrax model. The only concern I have is the back end coming from early activation of the outside tire around on a turn after it has rained, especially if my wife is driving as she likes the power of the HEMI . Anyone with real world experience with this setup that can give some pros and cons of the system. Thanks

Old 04-20-2005, 06:07 PM
RebelRam04
Rookie
Default RE: Powertrax drivability concerns.

No experience with the Powertrax but any LSD is gonna get you loose quick on the slippery stuff. That is why Ford and Chevrolet have traction control systems on the Mustang and Corvette respectively. The Mustang version is a combination of brake controller and rev limiter that when both rear tires start to slip will engage the rev limiter and pump the rear anti-locks until traction is restored. The major difference in those machines and your trucks is gonna be tire type and gearing. If you aren't running a 3.92 or are running an A/T or better then you will have less ability to break it loose then some others of us.

Old 04-20-2005, 06:13 PM
GMsucks
Record Breaker

No experience with the Powertraxx, but my truck has the Dodge mechanical locker in it and it'll learn ya reel kwik on how to let off uv da gas peddle! yep, suer will.

No two vehicles can be drivin the same, putting a locker or LSD in a truck will change the driving characteristics and you need to adjust your driving style to match it.

Old 04-20-2005, 07:44 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

I know that I cant pin the gas in a turn. I was more worried about it activating without throttle input around a turn or a sharp curve (at speed). I've driven factory LSD before, but I thought the Powertrax and other aftermarket LSD will engage more quickly/abruptly. I guess that is my main concern. Perhaps I should have been more clear. Thanks for the input guys.

Old 04-20-2005, 09:02 PM
WXman

I have 2,000 miles on my Powertrax No-Slip Locker now, and I wouldn't trade it for anything! I've had factory limited slip units in trucks before, and the Powertrax blows them away! I get 100% lockup when in the slippery stuff off road, and on the road it's almost seemless. I've driven in rain, up and down hillsides, around curves, all speeds of road, and I've had zero problems. The only time I ever even notice the locker is there is when I'm turning sharply into a parking place at wal-mart or something. Plus, the Powertrax has no clutches to wear out over time like LSD. Get the Powertrax!!

Old 04-20-2005, 11:35 PM
Hemi Dave
Professional

I assume the LSD will also effect the gas mileage a bit since your always dragging a tire around curves and corners.

Old 04-20-2005, 11:45 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Sweet! What is the retail and how hard was it to put in. I've got average mechanical ability. I've replaced heads, done timing, and rebuilt 2stroke jet skis before.

Old 04-21-2005, 11:50 AM
WXman

According to the owner's manual, fuel economy should INCREASE with the locker. That's what it says...you can read it on their website.

I paid $383 for mine, which is about the same cost as a crappy OEM clutch style limited slip. It took about 30 minutes to install, and no special tools. Just follow instructions carefully.

Old 04-21-2005, 12:30 PM
RebelRam04
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Hemi Dave

I assume the LSD will also effect the gas mileage a bit since your always dragging a tire around curves and corners.
Actually unless it's a full-time locker you aren't dragging anything, the performance is identical to an open diff. until such time as the tire starts to lose traction, only then will the other tire be engaged to the driveline, until then it spins freely like an open diff. Mileage shouldn't suffer at all, not sure how it would improve except that maybe due to the limiting of time spent with the wheels spinning instead of pushing the truck like they are meant too.

Quick Reply: Powertrax drivability concerns.