3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

lost a rocker and took out a cam

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 10:13 AM
shawnsack
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lost a rocker and took out a cam

So I was driving yesterday and lost a rocker and gouged the **** out of my cam on my 03 4.7 ram... so now I have to replace my cams... Ive been reading about H.O. cams and 206 cams and would like ur imput... I use this truck for daily driving and pulling a trailer occasionally and would like some more power for towing and pavement pounding... How hard would it be for me to fine H.O. cams and how much is a custom tune for 206 cams... my motor is stock what all needs to be done to be able to run either of the 2 cams...

Old 01-18-2010, 10:47 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I've heard this before on the 4.7's.

I'd check out AIRRAM's website as he is highly into and knowledgeable about the 4.7's. He could prob get you a fair deal too?

Old 01-18-2010, 11:53 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

That totally sux man. I hate the hear that happened but at least you know what the issue is and how to fix it yourself.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:14 PM
shawnsack
Rookie

yeah and to top it off the person before me didnt change the oil religiously and the cam brearings are shot cuz they were starved for oil... so now what??? can the head be remachined for a new cam or do i need a new head cuz it would appear the bearings are machined into the head from factory?? i talked to a guy at krc performance bout getting a new cam and they have stopped producing them for the time being... dont tell me i new new heads cuz I miles well get a new engine or swap something else in???? lay it on me

Old 01-19-2010, 04:50 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

IDK about the 4.7 but I know on the 5.7 the cam bearings are like what you are talking about and it is block replace time them.

Where are you located because ive seen a few 4.7s on CL around here recently

Old 01-19-2010, 08:37 PM
shawnsack
Rookie

it would appear the cam bearings cant be replaced on this motor either but im gunna check with a few machine shops and see if the heads can be line bored and my cams turned down and see if i can find a bearing to put in there cuz that would be like striking gold with these motors... how much for those motors and where are they... im probly too far away but im on the pa ohio border and would be willing to travel some distance for a good enough deal... i would imagine i need heads tho

Old 01-21-2010, 05:38 PM
shawnsack
Rookie

anybody know if i can have custom bearings made, like 2 piece crank bearings, to my specs?

Old 01-22-2010, 07:49 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Ive never seen anyone do it. I think some of the high end machine or speed shops would be where I would check.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:46 AM
matty_p
Professional

Shawnshack, what exactly do you need. I'm in NE PA and I have a complete 4.7 that the block is bad on. I also have a second complete set of heads off of an 01 or 02 dakota, i think. Had some plans for both, but all projects are on hold due to a baby being on the way. PM me and maybe we can figure out what you need.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:19 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will have trouble finding cams right now. Unless you want to spend 900 on cams. here are some really nice Brand new freshly ground cams...

http://www.dodge====talk.com/forums/...d.php?t=284967

Quick Reply: lost a rocker and took out a cam