3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truetrac Install?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 05:56 PM
ringnalda506
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a DTT in my rear 9.25 axle and i would be slying to say that it is easy.
Everything goes easier with help of good(professional) tools.
The changing of the ring gear from the old to the new diff is not difficult.
But after that you have to check gear pattern and backlash.
Backlash is relatively easy to adjust, but if you have to change the pinion depth it,s a whole new ballgame.
Do some studying on this site. They are very toyota orientated but the pinion depth and backlash adjustment is very simular or the same.
www.gearinstall.com The guy doeing all the installs is very helpfull and will answer any questions you have.

Good luck

Old 01-27-2010, 06:03 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i shouldnt have to adjust pinion depth if i only put in the truetrac right?

Old 01-27-2010, 10:31 PM
DodgeThunder
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you might have to, Ive never set up a diff before but Ive been reading on it to cause I one day want to throw a dtt in and some gears, I think if you change anything in the diff then it could throw everything outta whack?

and bear can you please send me the specs to the little tool to? Always good to have on hand!!

Old 01-27-2010, 10:39 PM
cheapbeater
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if i just put in a DTT i wouldnt touch the pinion gear, just the ring... so pinion adjustments should stay the same..

Old 01-28-2010, 03:02 AM
DodgeThunder
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no idea if it will still be the same.. The way I look at it is that the pinion contacts the ring gear thats bolted to the carrier.. which is being replaced by the locker, and nothing is exactly perfect, so what if that locker being just a few thou different doesnt put the ring gear back the exact same spot as it was before, therefore your pinnion wont contact it the exact same and throws your pattern outta whack.. That could all be a little extreme, but its better to know for sure before you get it back together and somethings wrong right?

Quick Reply: Truetrac Install?