3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Speaker time!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 02:40 AM
Marx
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speaker time!!

SO i have the SH**TY 4 speaker set up and was searching the forums but didnt find what i wanted.
I did see some people had problems fitting after market 6x9's in the front (Does anyone know the mounting depth?), if i got kappa infinity's will they fit? also do the factory tweeters in the doors make a huge difference.

I was thinking if i got theses then i won't need separate tweeters

http://cgi.ebay.ca/INFINITY-KAPPA-69...ht_8536wt_1165

http://cgi.ebay.ca/INFINITY-KAPPA-63...ht_8536wt_1165

Old 01-26-2010, 02:52 AM
98cherryram
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am personally a huge fan of component sets, I have a very picky ear for good sound ever since I bought my system, I had references in a car once and was very unhappy with them, but the kappas are a little better, I also always thought that going with the multi tweeter setup was just a way that the companies got away with having crappy tweeters since you should only need a single tweeter for each woofer.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:44 PM
wyseguy77
Captain

Can't speak from experience yet but for me I believe there must be a reason a lot of guys here a going with Alpine components. They must sound great, that's the way I will go. Not too much more expensive then what you're looking at.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:59 PM
brettd54

I too heard many people going with Alpine latley, which is why I just installed a set of these:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...e_SPR-69C.aspx

They are $159.95 at Crutchfield and $98.50 at the above link which is where I ordered them from. The install was simple, I used the original bracket from the stock speaker and transferred it to the Alpine speaker.

It was a decent improvement from stock, but I now realize that my major weak link is with the stock stereo. I can crank it up to max and still desire more!

I really don't want to get rid of the stock unit, so something else may need to be in order!

Old 01-26-2010, 08:50 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had those before i got my type x components, for coaxials they sounded great. Now they r just sitting in a box. For a easy upgrade they are perfect but you should power them with a amp. However, nothing can touch a good set of components. It just depends how far you want to go.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:54 PM
CRAIG02RAM
Professional

i always heard polk are very good. i would like to change my factorys for sum polk audio.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:48 PM
tuned93
Record Breaker

super shallow! dont get some deep ars, giant 6x9's like i did. lol it may require a "lilttle" modding

Old 01-26-2010, 11:23 PM
Hemi-5.7
Professional

brettd54 What speakers do u have in the back doors? and is the installation plug and play? Im really no wiring expert so how hard is it?

Old 01-27-2010, 12:35 AM
brettd54

Originally Posted by Hemi-5.7
brettd54 What speakers do u have in the back doors? and is the installation plug and play? Im really no wiring expert so how hard is it?

I do not have any rears yet, those are next! If you order from Crutchfield, they include pigtails for it to be a plug an play installation. I decided to save the $$ and cut my factory speaker connection and solder it to the speaker. They do make crimp connectors for speakers as well, but didn't want to drive 30 miles to get them!

It isn't quite plug and play. The problem with cutting the wires is that there is no way to tell which one is positive or negative. I disconnected the factory harness, then took a 9 volt battery and hooked it up to the speaker. If the speaker pushes out, you have the battery hooked up right, you can then tell by marking which one is negative and plug it into the harness to determine which wire is the negative wire.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:19 AM
Brokenpath
Rookie

I have pioneer 4 ways wired into the stock system and they sound amazing even without the subs.

As the other guy said an amp is a definite upgrade you should consider along with your speakers. I don't know how loud you like your music but I feel that sometimes they aren't loud enough, especially when the subs are on they just can't seem to punch through them all the way. Don't get me wrong, they're LOUD but I've listened to music at full blast for the past 3-4 years so it's just not enough for me.

However, I can tell you that it's a gigantic difference from stock. I get really crisp highs with the 2 tweeters on each speaker. They also fit right in without modification. If you're still interested i'll get you the parts number.

Quick Reply: Speaker time!!