3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ctm question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 11:57 AM
theclevingers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ctm question

with the problems i'm having and what i've searched on the forum it looks like my ctm is bad. my aftermarket alarm remotes dont work, headlights only turn off when headlight switch is in the parking light position, lamp out light flashes and dings when it wants too while i'm driving. i have one other issue i havent seen. if the trucks sits for more then 12 hours or so the truck is hard to start like the battery is almost dead. battery was tested and is good. had the alternator tested while still in the truck and was told it was bad. replaced it and still had the same problem...not putting out enough power. i'm going to pull the new alternator off and have it tested again to make sure i didnt get a bad one. i know the alternator is externally controlled. is it controlled by the ctm or the ecm? has anyone had the same problem? thanks for any input.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:15 AM
xanadu62
Rookie

CTM? Whazzat? Anyways, it sounds like it could be a bad common ground and the computer is just freaking out for it.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:40 PM
theclevingers

central timer module

Old 02-01-2010, 06:07 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a difficult problem to rundown, sorry I can't be of help but let us know if you figure it out. You might want to try posting it in the 3rd gen section b/c more people will see it there. Good luck.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:59 AM
RamTHIS03

Sounds to me like there's a parasitic draw somewhere, not necessarily a bad module. Aftermarket stuff tapped into factory wiring always makes me leery. Did you install the alarm system yourself or did you have a shop do it?

Old 02-02-2010, 06:52 PM
theclevingers

a shop did it when the truck was brand new. i'm the second owner of the truck. i bought the truck off a buddy at work for $2000 last year with only 55,000 miles on it lol.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:02 AM
theclevingers

parasitic draw...kind of like my ex wife lol. now that you mention it in order for me to turn my headlights off the headlight switch has to be in the parking light position. the headlights and parking lights are on when the switch is in the off and normal headlights on position. i pulled the battery and alternator out and had them tested again....all were good. i found a new headlight switch online and went ahead and ordered that. i figured it was only $20 it wouldnt hurt to give it a shot. thanks for thadvice. i'll let ya'll know how it goes

Old 02-04-2010, 05:49 AM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

un-hook negative terminal on battery. check fuses. replace any that are shot. voila. done.

i'd almost bet on it =)

Old 02-05-2010, 05:24 AM
theclevingers

hell the fuse thing is worth a shot. the new headlight switch will be in today or tomorrow....we'll see what happens. thanks for the advice

Old 02-07-2010, 04:32 AM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

Originally Posted by theclevingers
hell the fuse thing is worth a shot. the new headlight switch will be in today or tomorrow....we'll see what happens. thanks for the advice
you should...but yea, disconnect battery when you're in there. i dunno why. i seem to always short something out on newer (2000+) vehicles when in fusebox(s)

Quick Reply: ctm question