3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

To Boost... or to Double Boost!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010 | 06:29 PM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star

They do put down good tq #'s, but they're so damn heavy, the motor that is. With a pulley swap and a couple boltons my dad's Termi puts down 470hp to the wheels, that lightning was "just" hitting 370. But, Id have a any SVT in a heartbeat. Ive strongly considered getting rid of the Ram for a Lightning, just cause I could use the lightning as a 'truck' as much as I do the Ram, which is little to none. I would still have the 'Rango as my 4wd, which is what I mainly use in these snow storms anyways. But Im not sure how much Id like the single cab..... and the Harley versions are just too damn heavy to work with really, but I like them too

Edit: If that SRT had been a QC auto version, Id bet that 5.7 woulda had a much better chance.......at staying even anyways

Last edited by 4.7Ram5.7Rango; 02-05-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-05-2010 | 06:31 PM
Fathead_03

Originally Posted by 4.7Ram5.7Rango

Badass Ram in this vid. Im a diehard ford fan performance-wise, but the ol' lightning got put in its place in this one, and got blown-up in the process The 5.7 couldnt outrun the SRT, but still one badass truck. A little motivation for the OP
The Lightning was sweet, and I love the whine. Mind you, the SRT was tuned. Man, would I love to have an STS kit on a SRT10

Originally Posted by Got_Hemi44
Get a procharger and call it a day.
??????
While the instant boost is fun, there is hardly any lag to the STS kits, and you get a 2-4mpg increase on the highway(if you can keep your foot out of it).

That's reasonable for headers, mufflers, x pipe, tubing, etc. I don't know if he used stainless or not though.
That is a decent price if that's all he got. He could still use the headers and high flow cats(if he has/needs them) along with the STS kit, to help it perform better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrkIr8s-CG8

Last edited by Fathead_03; 02-05-2010 at 06:33 PM. Reason: whine
Old 02-05-2010 | 06:39 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Fathead_03
While the instant boost is fun, there is hardly any lag to the STS kits, and you get a 2-4mpg increase on the highway(if you can keep your foot out of it).
My point being if he went with an sc over a turbo he can keep his exhaust how it is.

Old 02-05-2010 | 06:56 PM
Fathead_03

My point being if he went with an sc over a turbo he can keep his exhaust how it is.
Aahh. Didn't catch that. Very true, and I'm sure it would sound sick out back.

BTW - For anyone who thinks I'm trying to argue, I'm not. I rode in a Procharged 5.3 Silverado, then an STS 5.3 Silverado, and have been a believer ever since.

Old 02-05-2010 | 10:24 PM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star

Fathead, is that vid made in Canada or something? I don't know about Kilometers and all that, but man I hope something was wrong with those timeboards. It looked to short of a track to be a 1/4, but WAY to slow to be the 1/8. I heard a little spinning going on, but not enough to justify freaking 15/16 sec timeslips, jesus.

Any more info on that vid? The one I posted had at least a low 13-high 12sec lightning, which got pulled on by that QC, so....... a little enlightment maybe?

Old 02-05-2010 | 11:39 PM
Fathead_03

If you look, those times were being posted before they even let off the gas. Those must have been from the prior run.

Old 02-06-2010 | 01:23 AM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star

Yup, you're right, lol.

Old 02-06-2010 | 01:36 AM
Trupiano
|
Veteran

I thought pretty seriously about a supercharger like the procharger, but the thought of losing a small percentage of power to run it, even if its not using boost. Nah. ANd a turbo's much more efficient at producing more power. The reason the exhaust was so expensive, is it's true dual 2.5 inch mandrell bent stainless steel from the LT headers all the way to the tips save for the X pipe, dual racing cats, dual magnaflow mufflers. Think I might go with the single turbo, like fathead said. I guess I can just get the muffler shop to delete the x-pipe and swap in a y pipe, and then split it again around the rear tire to the dual tips. Im sure they can use some of the excess exhaust pipe to fabricate some of the turbo lines. Thanks guys, Ive made up my mind.

Old 02-06-2010 | 02:46 AM
05RamMan
Captain

I need Pics of the intire install when you are done....

Old 02-07-2010 | 01:53 PM
FrostKing
Professional

Originally Posted by Fathead_03
If you look, those times were being posted before they even let off the gas. Those must have been from the prior run.
The clock was screwing up all evening. That run was a mid 13 second pass and I've since been 12.30 with the same STS setup (T60-1 and no intercooler). This year I have made my own rear mount setup with air-water intercooler which can support roughly twice the hp as the sts kit. Should be an interesting summer.

Quick Reply: To Boost... or to Double Boost!